• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

There was this shop...

K

Kandor

It stood in Willis St just between Heneage st and Ashted Row
I dont know how (and even 40 years later I still dont understand it) the man who owned the place thought my brother Robert was the politest lad he'd ever known..anyway, thats not the Story..
I remember he had this little board, I describe it just like a peg board in a game of cribbage except instead of being rectangular it was square.
There were about 64 holes on this board and each one had a little rolled white piece of paper in it that if you had a winner, gave you a prize of tanner, thrupence or a few sweets..
I think it cost about a penny to play and I'm fairly certain there were no more than about 5 prizes.
Robert sort of evened the odds a bit, in fact he did a lot better than that, he rolled up his own little winning papers copied his writing and while he pretended to ponder over his choice as soon as the shopkeepers attention was diverted simply unrolled the bit of paper he had already hidden in his hand.
He was clever doing it of course, he had to wait until about a quarter of them had gone and even then kept his prize small...
No wonder the shopkeeper liked him...my brother was most polite as he diddled the owner out of thruppence or his sweets...

Back