• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

Long ago Birmingham Corporation decided that the old trams had to go and this one was probably on it's way to eventual scrapping. But it became stuck turning from Victoria Road into Park Road and seems to have been something interesting for local folk to look at ... :)

RParksttram.jpg

Today if a 'ghost tram' could come back it would look somewhat like below viewed from the line of the old Victoria Road. Waterlinks Boulevard is on the right.
Oldtram.jpg

The red lines on the aerial view below show were Park Road from the left crossed Victoria Road.
Victoria_Park Roads.jpg

Last edited:
Long ago Birmingham Corporation decided that the old trams had to go and this one was probably on it's way to eventual scrapping. But it became stuck turning from Victoria Road into Park Road and seems to have been something interesting for local folk to look at ... :)

View attachment 168547

Today if a 'ghost tram' could come back it would look somewhat like below viewed from the line of the old Victoria Road. Waterlinks Boulevard is on the right.
View attachment 168543

The red lines on the aerial view below show were Park Road from the left crossed Victoria Road.
View attachment 168544

Thanks for the colour added picture of Park Road where I was born.

Court Road Balsall Heath - nothing special but trams ran along it. There was a Paynes Shoe Repairs shop 'Always Dependable' and H.Betts Gents Outfitters selling Swallow Raincoats with nice car outside. Tram 723 is turning right into Edward Road.
Court-Road-Tram.jpg

Today - no trams but the buildings are still there minus the attic rooms and Pizzas can be bought. The old houses further along the road are still there.
Court Rd Now.jpg

Last edited:
Good photo of tram 723 which still carries its pre WW2 livery - which I suspect when the photo was taken
Actually the tram was going straight ahead and not into Edward Road - observations of the trucks will show that.
The 37 tram went to Cannon Hill whereas those that turned into Edward Road, the route 39, went on to Alcester Lanes End.
The father of a schoolboy friend of mine once owned one of the shops selling radios and electiral goods. I bought my first electric razor there in 1955 when I was in the RAF stationed at that time in the West Midlands.,

Last edited:
Dudley Road with Icknield Port Road off to the right. Tram 102 has stopped and passengers have to walk out and queue in the road to board it which was normal in those days. An Atkinsons pub on the right and the lady with the pram trying to cross the road with the sun in her eyes. St Patricks Roman Catholic Church in the distance.
DudleyRd_IcknieldPortRd.jpg

The much changed view today and the road on the left has been realigned. Buildings on the right across the junction are still there but the one immediately on the corner had been demolished.
DudleyRd.jpg

Back