• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

Do you think it was a spot of rain on the lens?!!
No it is a deliberate blur. Have look along the road with streetview, the side views use different cameras and it is stitched together.
Anyone can ask Google to blur the view of their house and if Google agrees they will do it.

In 1979 Keith Berry took this photo of the corner of Hampstead Hill and Villa Road. His mother always called it 'Bendall's Corner' but he never really knew why. Alfred Kraznerdobsky owned the electrical shop on the left.
View attachment 147597

Today the building is still there - perhaps it is too nice to alter or demolish. The original owner must have liked 'tudor style'. The old flagpole is still on top.
View attachment 147598
old
In 1979 Keith Berry took this photo of the corner of Hampstead Hill and Villa Road. His mother always called it 'Bendall's Corner' but he never really knew why. Alfred Kraznerdobsky owned the electrical shop on the left.
View attachment 147597

Today the building is still there - perhaps it is too nice to alter or demolish. The original owner must have liked 'tudor style'. The old flagpole is still on top.
View attachment 147598
oldMohawk, I lived very close to this corner. Just down Villa Rd on the left was the Polar Bear Sweet Shop that I frequented many times as I waited for the bus. Just across on the right was a Milk Bar where we would hang out before we were old enough to go to pubs. Great times and memories, thank you!

I've just looked on old maps and GE and it is Nursery Rd on the right .... :)
Nursery Road is the next road on the right - before the traffic lights - basically where the photographer must have been standing! Grays Road is the one in the photo, next to The Plough and a bit further along past the The Plough is another little side road: North Road.

Nursery Road is the next road on the right - before the traffic lights - basically where the photographer must have been standing! Grays Road is the one in the photo, next to The Plough and a bit further along past the The Plough is another little side road: North Road.
Hi roxalma,
My understanding of Bob's question in post#1634 is that he was referring to the road immediately on the right which is Nursery Road as I stated in post#1635. Half of the road name is showing and I can just about read it as 'Nurse ...'. The c1914 map below shows the layout and the blue dot shows where the photographer was standing.
oldmohawk :)
download.jpg

oldMohawk, do you know where on Grove Lane this is? Just for a point of reference for me.
Thank you!
Hi Richard,
I had some difficulty with this one. I first thought it was at the junction with Antrobus Rd on the left and Philip Victor Rd on the right but eventually decided that the road on the left was Grove Hill Rd and there was no road on the right.
I looked at the layout and the road bending to the right. In 1914 there were fields on the right.
oldmohawk.

Hi Richard,
I had some difficulty with this one. I first thought it was at the junction with Antrobus Rd on the left and Philip Victor Rd on the right but eventually decided that the road on the left was Grove Hill Rd and there was no road on the right.
I looked at the layout and the road bending to the right. In 1914 there were fields on the right.
oldmohawk.
oldMohawk, thank you..........I need to look at a map to get oriented, this must we up to the opposite end from Soho Rd.

A postcard view of St Mary's Parish Church on Hamstead Road Handsworth, taken from Church Hill Road.
View attachment 149248

A similar view today and the church is still there but the tower has lost parts.
View attachment 149249
OldMohawk, great photos, rode my bike through there many time to spot LMS and belonged to the 120th St Mary’s scout troop!
Thank you for sharing....

A 1907 postcard view of Lozells Road with St Paul's Church in the distance, Berners Street on the right and Hartington Road to the left. Long ago on my way home from school I must have looked down at those shops from the top deck of a No 5 tram.
LozellPCBerners.jpg

A similar view today and the church building (grade II listed) and most of the building on the corner of Hartington Road were in the 1907 view.
LozellsNow.jpg

A 1907 postcard view of Lozells Road with St Paul's Church in the distance, Berners Street on the right and Hartington Road to the left. Long ago on my way home from school I must have looked down at those shops from the top deck of a No 5 tram.
View attachment 151441

A similar view today and the church building (grade II listed) and most of the building on the corner of Hartington Road were in the 1907 view.
View attachment 151442
Great photos oldMohawk, I like the older one best by far!

Back