• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

In the 1960s Keith Berry photographed Edna Jones' shop on the corner of Freer Road and Fentham Road in Aston.
44.EdnasFreerRd.jpg
He attached a comment with the photo.
This was Edna Jones' shop on the corner of Freer Road and Fentham Road. I knew it well in my early days as her daughter Margaret, and I were sort of school friends, except that she had a propensity to drop me in it by telling tales of my exploits that she came to hear of to my mother. After Edna's death it became an Indian run supermarket for a few years but now, like most former corner shops around here, it is a private residence.

It is now a private house.
FreerFenthamNow.jpg

On a snowy day in the 1960s Keith Berry photographed Freer Road, Aston. He had lived in the second house from the right for 25 years.
45FreerRdinsnow.jpg

A streetview today.
Image3.jpg

On another day in the late 1950s, the Co-Op milkman stopped outside Keith Berry's house so he took a photo as the horse looked up with a mouthful of hay.
46Milkhorse.jpg

No Co-Op milkman there today.
FreerOpp.jpg

Last edited:
Not Birmingham, but may be of interest in a Then and Now context. I was trying to locate a route I had taken on a walk back in 1991 from Mordiford in Herefordshire. I had taken few pictures including one of a ruined wattle and daub cottage.

I came across a video on YouTube by "The Solitary Rambler" that showed a walk from Mordiford and passed the same cottage. I have put my picture from 1991 above that of 2018 showing the difference around 27 years later.

7FBEF231-375E-46B8-B379-83CACDBE984B.jpeg

There are various Alum Rock Road views in this thread and here is another looking towards the row of shops on College Road. The shop building on the left has an interesting turret but the modern view will show that it has been removed from the building.
AlumRock2.jpg

The shop buildings are still there but the turret has gone and the open space seen in the old view was built on long ago.
AlumRockRdNow.jpg

Back