• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

and the thing is OM who would want to try and get there to sit down the way the traffic is today...

Go down the subways. There is sometimes rough sleepers under the walkways.

New paving near the Park Regis Birmingham Hotel.

The Metro tracks are being laid on the Five Ways underpass from Broad Street to Hagley Road.

hi alan do you mean the photo post 1415...i can only see 5 roads...unless ive missed something
lyn
The aerial view in #1415 shows
The 'Five Ways' are
1. Ladypool Rd going left.
2. Broad St going top left.
3. Islington Row going top right.
4. Calthorpe Rd going bottom right.
5. Hagley Rd going bottom left.

Harborne Rd going directly bottom of the view has a junction with Calthorpe Rd before 'Five Ways' so is technically not one of the 'ways'. Old maps show this more clearly, but changes over the years have altered things.
Phil ... :)

Google Maps view of Five Ways. I can't rename the cropped screenshot on my phone.

Maybe Harborne Road and Calthorpe Road are considered just one part of the Five Ways. Being they are one way._20191220_112907.JPG

Last edited:
Is there a Five Ways Island thread?

Some views from the no 24 bus today, starting from Harborne Road near Costa.

Heading around just before Hagley Road.

Tracks laid for the Metro extension on the Hagley Road side.

And on the Broad Street side.

The bus went onto Islington Row Middleway before heading down Tennant Street and Bishopsgate Street.

Many people out and about on a 1970s sunny day in the Bristol Road, Selly Oak with the Plough & Harrow visible on the corner of Chapel Lane. The university clock tower seems to loom over the scene but it is somewhat further away than it looks. The position of the traffic lights in the foreground suggest that the photo was taken from the corner of Oak Tree Lane.
ZIMG_1217.JPG

A Google street view from almost the same spot shows the clock tower looking further away. Since the date of the old photo a supermarket had been built on the left but the supermarket relocated and the building is disused. The site could eventually house a block of student flats.
BristolRdSellyOak.JPG

Have a scroll around with streetview using your mouse ...

Many people out and about on a 1970s sunny day in the Bristol Road, Selly Oak with the Plough & Harrow visible on the corner of Chapel Lane. The university clock tower seems to loom over the scene but it is somewhat further away than it looks. The position of the traffic lights in the foreground suggest that the photo was taken from the corner of Oak Tree Lane.
View attachment 140545

A Google street view from almost the same spot shows the clock tower looking further away. Since the date of the old photo a supermarket had been built on the left but the supermarket relocated and the building is disused. The site could eventually house a block of student flats.
View attachment 140546

Have a scroll around with streetview using your mouse ...
Well I'm shocked nothing looks familiar to me, I was born in Selly Oak, l worked in Selly Oak then travelled through it every day into town I know Selly Oak or use to ?.
Going to fire up the desk top and street view Selly Oak.

Bob
Your last post gives me an image in my mind of starting up a steam tram and going to visit Selly Oak (OK. I know they never had steam trams in Selly Oak)

An earlier pic I posted in another thread. The Plough & Harrow on the left and the university clock tower in the distance to the left of the tree.
The Bristol Road, Selly Oak, near the junction with Chapel Lane. No exact date but double yellow lines were introduced in 1960 so probably a year or two after then. The road sweeper was keeping the road tidy ... just one last shovelful to put in his bin.
index.php

Back