• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

They were last in town 2 years ago. This view towards Arena Central.

This view towards the Library of Birmingham.

Got a zoom in to the empty plinth today from the Library, but not uploaded it to Flickr yet.

Pete,

As far as I am concerned, gold leaf is fine on picture frames, but rather over the top for a serious statute like this. But as far as I know, no one was asked about this at the time and I can't see them removing it and and leaving themselves open to charges of wasting the citizens money. In relation to the vast bombsite that Brum has been over the last sixty years, this pales into insignificance.

Maurice :cool:

It'll have been in storage for 3 years before they get it out again. The gold leaf isn't going anywhere.

Centenary Square is almost complete. Just needs the foyer of Symphony Hall to be done. But is also the other Arena Central buildings opposite that haven't been built yet.

The tram line opened a few days ago. I rode the tram to Centenary Square for the first time without walking through Victoria Square and over Centenary Way.

In the 1950s a mother and daughter push their prams across Wordsworth Rd at the junction with Coventry Rd.
View attachment 139902

Today the buildings on the left still exist although somewhat changed.
View attachment 139903
Have a look round with street view
I love street view I can drive my pc over the roads that I rode by bike on all over Warwickshire Malverns you name it . Also S/V has walking ones also, I walked all through downtown Brum and the Museum great stuff lots of fun

In the 1950s a mother and daughter push their prams across Wordsworth Rd at the junction with Coventry Rd.
View attachment 139902

Today the buildings on the left still exist although somewhat changed.
View attachment 139903
Have a look round with street view
A lovely couple of pictures the now one still shows a street with life, but I do wonder about the car facing backwards next to the bus.

That young girl pushing a pram just like her mum possibly with her favorite dolly, a horse and cart in the background wonderful.
Now I had forgotten about Domestos nasty stuff thinking now it came in a blue container a real heavy duty bleach with a real pong.

Back