• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

Around the late 1960s/1970s Keith Berry took some photos around the City Centre. Here is one he took from Stephenson Place. I remember the baked potato seller's stand on the corner.
View attachment 137989

The view today looking very modern and neat.
View attachment 137990

Keith Berry's City Centre photos ... number 8 in the collection below
I see he newer photo shown, apart from change of ownership of the premises, that above he bank is a clock and the hot chestnut guy has moved on.

During a severe air raid on 20 April 1941 many bombs dropped on New Street. The photo shows the morning after with smoke still lingering in the air and one fireman still damping down. The Times Furnishing building on the left.
1941_NewSt.jpg

Now in New Street folks walk through trees. The old 'Times' building is still there but in this view is now a bookshop.
ModernNewSt.jpg

Post 1025 appears to be the area later - for a few years anyway - known as the Big Top. The 29 and 29A bus stop was moved farther along to near the cinema and Woolworth store. The photo. shown on BHF a few times, with two young women looking out of an upper window, shows the location. This thread refers:

Last edited:
Post 1025 appears to be the area later - for a few years anyway - known as the Big Top. The 29 and 29A bus stop was mover farther along to near the cinema and Woolworth store. The photo. shown on BHF a few times, with two young women looking out of an upper window, shows the location. This thread refers:

In April 1941, bombers came over and dropped many high explosive bombs on Brum. Some of them dropped on New Street causing severe damage but the Times Furnishing building was almost untouched. The debris seen on the street in post#1025 has been moved to the footpath.
New_St_Apr1941.jpg

Now everything obviously rebuilt but the old Times building is still there but in this view is a bookshop.
TimesNow.jpg

It says a date of 1923 but the Woolworth building looks far newer than that date, so I guess it got a new front. As it still has some wooden shuttering maybe that is when it was altered?

What a photo how them men worked in those conditions no hard hats or vis jackets and one man with a brush with all that rubble about ,their jackets all hanging on the fences with probably their squashed sandwiches in their pockets and what a mess they would of made on the seats of the pubs they would have gone straight to after their shift .Now that's what I call men at work!

I passed the Aston Hippodrome hundreds of times but never went in and also never noticed that Woolworths. I seem to remember that Burlingtons as the Elbow Room but maybe later than this pic.
View attachment 138069

Now I could not even recognise the Aston Hippodrome.
View attachment 138070
at least woolies old building is still there. yes
I have the same photo as the one under discussion and it is dated 1957, the photo attached is of sewer works on the High Street in 1943. If you look up the High street toward the Hippodrome you can see neither the Elbow Room or Woolworths are there a that date.

View attachment 138077
phil. that sewer work went right along and down aston brook st.along side the h/brook. work done by jj.gallagher,and c bryant & son.

Back