• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

I used to live at 51Southam RD in the early 70s had no idea about the bomb damage.

Seems like they are taking a long time to repair the house in Swanhurst Lane in photo #519.

A snapshot of High St, Aston in 1949 taken from a you tube video looking down towards Burlington Hall on the left, and the Barton Arms pub further down. The dome on the right was the Globe cinema and just above on the horizon is probably the fire station tower in Lancaster Place. The 'now' photo from Google.

Attachments

• Then-Now Burlington Hall.jpg
    Then-Now Burlington Hall.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 69
High St, Aston in 1949 looking towards Park Lane, showing the Malt Shovel pub on the left. Again, a snapshot of the you tube video with a google image of 'now'. There are lots of old photos showing various parts of High St but, I've never seen one showing both sides of the road like this image does. It would be great to see a better definition photograph.

Last edited:
High St, Aston 1949, looking towards Park Lane with the Malt Shovel pub on the left. Again, a snapshot of the You Tube video and a Google image of 'now'. There are lots of photos showing various parts of High St but, I've never seen one showing both sides of the street as this image does. It would be great to see a better definition photograph.
P.S Don't know how I posted this twice but, I've tried to delete this post but cannot.

Last edited:
The corner of Great Brook St and Windsor St. Date unknown but most houses were boarded up with just the corner house occupied. It looks like they were about to demolish the houses to build something else. The young lad has no shoes.

The view today with an old building originally for the Co Op Traffic Dept on the site. Perhaps the houses in the old pic were demolished to make way for it.

An aerial view dated 1933 and the Co Op buildings are top right. New housing being built on the old Barracks site.
source 'britainfromabove'

Google's aerial view and the church and the churchyard long gone but lots of greenery in the pic.

This thread suggests that the place was due to close in 2010. But, it seems to still have Co-Op signage so maybe it did not.

Vivian Road Harborne looking down toward the High Street, on whats looks to be a glorious summers day in the original photo and being quite a contrast to te cloudy overcast later image.

Once in more genteel times at 100 Corporation Street you could enter The Ridgways cafe and get a cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich and perhaps a cream cake in comfortable surroundings. Today I wouldn't like to think whats on offer at The Frenchy at 100 Corporation Street in the concrete block that took the place of the shops on that section of the street opposite Lewis's, I just have this feeling I wouldn't like it.

Once in more genteel times at 100 Corporation Street you could enter The Ridgways cafe and get a cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich and perhaps a cream cake in comfortable surroundings. Today I wouldn't like to think whats on offer at The Frenchy at 100 Corporation Street in the concrete block that took the place of the shops on that section of the street opposite Lewis's, I just have this feeling I wouldn't like it.

View attachment 132307
ho yes a cucumber sandwich, now you are taking phil

phil thats a lovely clear shot of st james the less church ashted...i have my 4xgt grandparents buried there in the 1830s i think it was...would have to double check my notes though

lyn

Back