• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

oldMohawk, I guess architectural conformance has gone!

Great phot of old new street!

New Street long ago. A horse trudges across the scene as city gents walk on the right maybe off to lunch. Nice view of the Hyam store.
View attachment 147289

Today ... the building on the opposite corner is still there. Strange bright yellow structures in the view ... I suppose they are there for some reason ...
View attachment 147290

SEND IN THE CLOWNS

MAKE SURE YOU OPEN THIS ONE. IT'S LOVELY.........and turn up the sound. This is a treasure.....the good old days: For those of us who remember the simpler days.... This will make you smile and maybe bring tears to your eyes......For the younger ones, you don't know what you missed by not knowing these "clowns."

A bit of nostalgia for those of us who remember the "clowns."

Frank Sinatra sings, but wait for the clowns.

And please listen to the last bit by Orson Wells. (Click)

Send In The Clowns

New Street long ago. A horse trudges across the scene as city gents walk on the right maybe off to lunch. Nice view of the Hyam store.
View attachment 147289

Today ... the building on the opposite corner is still there. Strange bright yellow structures in the view ... I suppose they are there for some reason ...
View attachment 147290
Have you noticed the number of 'boaters' in all these pictures, and bordering on the theme of when everybody wore a hat, how they classed the population. Flat cap - working man, young boys and some women, boater young men about town, Fedoras, trilbys, homburgs and bowlers the business man (all grades), the bowler very evident with railway management.
Bob

Last edited:
Have you noticed the number of 'boaters' in all these pictures, and bordering on the theme of when everybody wore a hat, how the classed the population. Flat cap - working man, young boys and some women, boater young men about town, Fedoras, trilbys, homburgs and bowlers the business man (all grades), the bowler very evident with railway management.
Bob
Good observation Bob!

SEND IN THE CLOWNS

MAKE SURE YOU OPEN THIS ONE. IT'S LOVELY.........and turn up the sound. This is a treasure.....the good old days: For those of us who remember the simpler days.... This will make you smile and maybe bring tears to your eyes......For the younger ones, you don't know what you missed by not knowing these "clowns."

A bit of nostalgia for those of us who remember the "clowns."

Frank Sinatra sings, but wait for the clowns.

And please listen to the last bit by Orson Wells. (Click)

Send In The Clowns
One of my Desert Island discs although I usually do not like it sung by a Male singer, but this was different and I enjoyed but then it was the governor. Thank you for sharing it.
Bob

View attachment 147348

View attachment 147290

Those were the anti terror barriers installed a few years ago. To prevent someone driving into the Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market. They sometimes plant flowers there to make it look nice.

Last edited:
thanks phil... so many lovely old buildings swept aside...for me the city centre was becoming a ghost town even before the lockdown...its even worse now and i wonder if it will ever recover and become the once busy vibrant area it once was

lyn

Lyn,

Once you fill the city centre with 'profitable' office blocks and drive the long term residents out, any city will becone a ghost town after 6:00pm. They did it to Manchester before Brum, and I'm sure there are many other cities in the same boat. Not having visited for six years now, I'm having great difficulty in locating where many of the modern photographs are taken.

My friend, who has lived all his life in Bournemoth (I was only there for 40 years) said yesterday that some parts were looking more like downtown New York! As usual in this life it is all about money.

Maurice :cool:

dave i wonder what he would make of new st now :rolleyes: probably the same as what folk in 200 years time will be thinking about our today photos because as sure as god made little apples what we see now will be gone including any remaining historical buildings:(

lyn
Looks like he is texting his thoughts, comparing the two views I suppose. Very well done.

Bob

5 Bennetts Hill looked like this in 1932 and one company in the building was Parcels & General Assurance Associates Limited. A bust of a man looking sidewards sits on the ledge. Was he someone known or just a decoration ?
View attachment 135860

In 2016 the building housed 'The Barber House' as below.
View attachment 135861

In 2019 'The Barber House' had moved but a van blocked much of the view as seen in link below.
https://goo.gl/maps/BFZKU3Ju69aooYif6

1 to 5 Bennetts Hill.

5th March 2019. The Barber House had moved out.

16th August 2020. The new 103 Colmore Row seen to the right in the misty weather.

In 1979 Keith Berry took this photo of the corner of Hampstead Hill and Villa Road. His mother always called it 'Bendall's Corner' but he never really knew why. Alfred Kraznerdobsky owned the electrical shop on the left.
46VillaRd07.jpg

Today the building is still there - perhaps it is too nice to alter or demolish. The original owner must have liked 'tudor style'. The old flagpole is still on top.
ViilaRdCorner.jpg

Long ago a photographer stood in Nechells Park Road by the junction with Needham Road and took a postcard photo.
NechellsParkRdold.jpg

These days the Google camera car took a photo in the same place and someone wanted their house blurred out of the view. The houses on the left are new but on the right some original houses are still there.
NPnow.jpg

Back