• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now

I remember the wood place being at the junction but when did the church go - I have no memory of it although I did know there was once one there.
There is a pic of of the church as a woodyard in the post below and other information ...
This is how I remember Christ Church Perry Barr in the 1950s. It had become a timber merchant's yard.
I used to wait for a 188 Midland Red bus on the waste ground opposite those advertisement hoardings.
index.php

That's how I remember it, Ansells Timber, it was the first time I'd seen a church disused and then used as business premises.
Like the pubs they're all going that way now but I think most people will miss the pubs more than the church.

Yes Viv, it was a chapel, found this info..

On Graham Street opposite Vittoria Street is a chapel which reflects some of Birmingham's social and ethnic changes. Built with seats for 1000 people, it is neo-classical in style with a pedimented porch and round-arched windows and was built in 1844 as Highbury Chapel, soon becoming St Andrew's Scotch Presbyterian Church. It became an Independent Chapel, Mount Zion Baptist Chapel, and a Methodist New Connexion chapel by 1879. In 1930 it was Birmingham's first Elim Pentecostal Tabernacle until that church moved to a new building on the corner of Newhall Hill in 1970. From that date it became a Sikh temple, the Ramgharia Gurdwara. The new Elim Tabernacle building now also belongs to the gurdwara.

In the 1970s Keith Berry stood in Albion Street and photographed a building opposite in Legge Lane. It was originally a fire station but was being used as a garage by the date of the photo. The George and Dragon pub is on the left.
LeggeLaneFS.jpg

Many of the old fire station buildings still exist but are being used for other activities and this building is no exception. It is now a children's nursery. The pub building has also been renovated and is now the 'Pig and Tail' bar and snacks.
XNow LeggeLane.jpg

Another Keith Berry photo taken in the 1970s as he wandered around the Jewellery Quarter. He had stopped in Hylton Street. Lessar Brothers making spectacles in their Lesbro Works. A company named Penns next door.
HyltonSt.jpg

Today and not too much change apart from the new building on the right. There is still a Spectacle Works.
Hylton1.jpg

Another Keith Berry photo taken in the 1970s as he wandered around the Jewellery Quarter. He had stopped in Hylton Street. Lessar Brothers making spectacles in their Lesbro Works. A company named Penns next door.
View attachment 139639

Today and not too much change apart from the new building on the right. There is still a Spectacle Works.
View attachment 139640

thats just how i remember it when i worked in vyse st early 70s

lyn

Many small changes though, but it is good to see those places still standing.
The overpowering sign of the optical folk has gone, the Goldlink place looks far smarter, the road name has gone, R S Walker is now two separate occupancies and the bricked up doorway is now opened up. The properties do look much nicer now. The pavement is now brick and a better road surface.

View attachment 139639

View attachment 139640

just how i remember it when i worked in vyse st early 70s

lyn

In the 1970s Keith Berry stood in Albion Street and photographed a building opposite in Legge Lane. It was originally a fire station but was being used as a garage by the date of the photo. The George and Dragon pub is on the left.
View attachment 139630

Many of the old fire station buildings still exist but are being used for other activities and this building is no exception. It is now a children's nursery. The pub building has also been renovated and is now the 'Pig and Tail' bar and snacks.
View attachment 139631

March 1909...

46FE4A7F-33B1-483A-8336-6BBAF31627BD.jpeg

On Erdington High Street in the 1970s Keith Berry saw this lady standing on tiptoe in her sling-back-kitten-heel shoes. He commented that she was peeping over the wall of St Barnabas church at a wedding. She first appeared in another thread on the BHF back in 2016 and there was discussion about her gloves, handbag, shoes, and what she was thinking ... as we do ... :)
54335408.Tiptoe.jpg
Click to see added colour version

A view of the pavement where she was standing but the wall has been lowered so no need for anyone to stand on tiptoe these days ...
LadyNow.jpg

Last edited:
Back