• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

The earlier thread (caught in old streets) suggests a date of around 1913. These corporation trams were new in 1912 and had roofs where the previous company ones were open topped. That I guess would be a novelty. Trams had run to Stockland Green since 1904.

Last edited:
I thought I would pick a difficult one. I've always liked this pic of lad who had climbed a lamppost ... reminds me of when I used to do it ... :)

I think the view looks straight up Guest Street towards Hockley Hill with Bridge Street West going across. Villa Street is behind the camera.
BridgeStGuestSt.jpg

View today looking in the direction of where Guest Street was ... roads have disappeared. The road to the right is now called Old Bridge Street and the road to the left is called Guest Grove. I wonder whether the lamppost lad ever saw it like this.
BridgeStnow.jpg
Have a scroll look round with

I thought I would pick a difficult one. I've always liked this pic of lad who had climbed a lamppost ... reminds me of when I used to do it ... :)

I think the view looks straight up Guest Street towards Hockley Hill with Bridge Street West going across. Villa Street is behind the camera.
View attachment 137176

View today looking in the direction of where Guest Street was ... roads have disappeared. The road to the right is now called Old Bridge Street and the road to the left is called Guest Grove. I wonder whether the lamppost lad ever saw it like this.
View attachment 137177
Have a scroll look round with
Lamp post lad is dressed in white, his mum must have washed in Tide.
Would never have guessed same place today pic

yes phil it is isnt it...think i mentioned who it was when i posted that pic on the bsw thread years ago...my neighbour nearly fell off his chair when he saw it lol
lyn
Hi Lyn, I've just noticed you had mentioned it before when I added it 6 years ago in the other thread ... time flies !
Phil

Lyn, If I'm looking the right way along Nursery Rd this is the view today. It looks somewhat bleak but maybe it actually is not. I like the old view better. View turned 180 degrees reference post#889
Phil
Nursery2.jpg

Last edited:
phil you are looking the wrong way ..your view is looking towards hunters road...i posted a street view of the correct view and yes it is very bleak these days..not much life going on

lyn

Hay Mills Police Station was originally just a couple of houses, then in 1901/2 this was built. At the Time Hay Mills was part of Worcestershire, and to this day the Worcestershire Coat of Arms is still displayed on the front of the building. It wasn't until about 1912 that it became part of Birmingham

phil you are looking the wrong way ..your view is looking towards hunters road...i posted a street view of the correct view and yes it is very bleak these days..not much life going on

lyn

Made my head ache looking at that.:( Is the grenery bit where the café used to be? I know that the top end of Villa Street disappeared when they decided it needed modernising.

Made my head ache looking at that.:( Is the grenery bit where the café used to be? I know that the top end of Villa Street disappeared when they decided it needed modernising.

eric look at my pic on post 887 then look at the now view on post 888....the villa cafe was on the left hand corner..hope you can get your bearings its so very different now but none the less its still the old end:)

lyn

In the 1960's the council had a direct labour organisation who were busy building lots of social houses. Castle Vale, Chemsley Wood, Bromford, Druids Heath, Hawskley etc.

A lot of tower block appeared during this period, sold as ways to effectively used land, but in reality, they were just cheep ways to build.

In the 1960's the council had a direct labour organisation who were busy building lots of social houses. Castle Vale, Chemsley Wood, Bromford, Druids Heath, Hawskley etc.

A lot of tower block appeared during this period, sold as ways to effectively used land, but in reality, they were just cheep ways to build.
I was just.posting as yours appeared
We went from homes to warehouse
As i recall the overspill aera's soon got a bad rep the few times I ventured into one I thought it was a rabbit run.
The now pic made my heart sink the before pic you could see a story waiting to be told, pop in the pub have a brown and mild and soak it all in

mort i have spoken to many people over the years who were moved out of what they called slum houses...(some were but a lot were not and could have been modernised) oh yes as they said at the time they were grateful to move into the high rises with bathrooms central heating and hot water but it was not long before they were wishing they could still be living in their old houses despite the pitfalls..the reason was because at least they would have friends and neighbours to talk to...living in the flats some people would not see a soul for weeks and even longer before they saw anyone to talk to...made even worse by having no gardens...i should know i lived in one for 7 years with my 4 young children in a two bedroomed flat 7th floor before eventually taking on the council to get a decent move for my family ...totally soul destroying for young and old alike..

lyn

Back