• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then & Now

I remember the Newton Road when it was a single carriageway but never saw it when it looked like this. Some impressive trees in the front gardens and that mock tudor house on the left is still there today but much changed.
newtonrdpostcard.jpg

The road is now a dual carriageway and the house seen in the old view has been much extended but the front gable end looks the same.
newtonnow.jpg

I remember the Newton Road when it was a single carriageway but never saw it when it looked like this. Some impressive trees in the front gardens and that mock tudor house on the left is still there today but much changed.
View attachment 136892

The road is now a dual carriageway and the house seen in the old view has been much extended but the front gable end looks the same.
View attachment 136893

I much prefer the older photo ...

I much prefer the older photo ...
I tend to like all the views in the old pics but most of us went out and bought cars so the roads had to change.

A view of the Newton Road dated 1964 and on the right is an earth embankment which would soon be a dual carriageway section of the road bypassing a difficult tee-junction with Wigmore Lane.
No 6 1964 Newton Rd.jpg

I had to use the overhead electric power lines to fix the position of this view which is rather closed in by bushes. The present day Newton Road would be on the right and shown on an attached map. This part of the old road has been renamed Wigmore lane.
OldNewtonRd.jpg

Then and now map. The red marking shows the realignment of the Newton Rd
bypass.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
hi bob what are parking lamps that hook onto the side of the car??

lyn
They where used at night
hi bob what are parking lamps that hook onto the side of the car??

lyn
They where a light that clipped on the window and from the rear the light was red and from the front it was clear and you would use it if you parked your car on the street overnight,. It was something you would buy from Halfords and was popular in the 50s & 60s, now if you where a rich bugger and had a Rolls Royce they had them fitted one on each side of the car on the Piller between the doors

They where used at night

They where a light that clipped on the window and from the rear the light was red and from the front it was clear and you would use it if you parked your car on the street overnight,. It was something you would buy from Halfords and was popular in the 50s & 60s, now if you where a rich bugger and had a Rolls Royce they had them fitted one on each side of the car on the Piller between the doors
Now I remember them and if you did not have a good battery your were out of luck in the morning!

Lyn

I'd hate to think how many times my uncles were gotten out of bed at night by the local bobby because they had failed to put a parking light on their cars. Most people used paraffin lights with a piece of red cellophane at the back end. Apparently it's still illegal to park at night without parking lights on roads with a speed limit of more that 30 mph.

View attachment 136892

View attachment 136893
Miss the trees !, It's not till you get older that you become aware of something's when looking at then and now pics I have to wonder if some places have improved,

Talking about little shops disappearing this is the one time South Birmingham Furnishing Co that stood at 424 Coventry road in Small Heath on the corner of Watts Street until it was taken over by the Co-op and became a Chemist shop. It looks like it is now a car park.

View attachment 136904
That car park is one small step for man, but one gaint step backwards for mankind, we will never get a shop like the one that was there great loss.

Lyn

I'd hate to think how many times my uncles were gotten out of bed at night by the local bobby because they had failed to put a parking light on their cars. Most people used paraffin lights with a piece of red cellophane at the back end. Apparently it's still illegal to park at night without parking lights on roads with a speed limit of more that 30 mph.
Forgot about those we would move them along the street to someone else's car, another topic to explain about things we did as kids, thunder a lightning ?.

They where used at night

I had a Simca Aronde in the early 1960's, it had parking lights fitted as standard. You could light just one side of the car - front and aft - when parked. However, it was not intended as a long time parking system, just a couple of hours or so. I believe some other cars had them as well, not necessarily the very expensive ones.

The Ford Cortina MkII had parking lights fitted too. They were operated by the indicators switch. Great at running the battry down

Back