• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then & Now - Roy Wood

Just came across this - it may have been on here before but the search engine reveals nothing. Enjoy.........

Maurice :cool:

Yes, I posted it on one of the threads - I think it was the Nightclubs one.
It was to say that the Cedar Club was not where Roy pointed out but down the road slightly and on a corner plot where still nothing has been built since the club was demolished years ago.
I commented that either he had forgotten or they thought it was better to show some buildings instead of an empty space :laughing:

Just came across this - it may have been on here before but the search engine reveals nothing. Enjoy.........

Maurice I know we all have to get old , but I saw Mr Wood in The Bell about 10 yrs ago not a patch on the young lad of the 60's , overweight etc

WS,

At 83 last Friday I'm only too aware of that :) I'm not particularly overweight, but there's just so many things that I can't do that were still a piece of cake only 40 years ago. But if you manage to wake up in the morning, count that as a blessing.

Maurice :)

WS,

At 83 last Friday I'm only too aware of that :) I'm not particularly overweight, but there's just so many things that I can't do that were still a piece of cake only 40 years ago. But if you manage to wake up in the morning, count that as a blessing.

Maurice you can disguise it though , I wish he did

And widening the picture a bit there's this.............

Thanks Maurice
Just had a little stroll down memory lane, had not thought about some of those songs forever.
I would see all those guys at times when they went to Rick Prices mom's house in a limo a rare sight back then
But thinking about it now it may have just been a port of call for the guys.
At the very top of Rubery village was a guy who made guitars for those rock n roll types and when passing on a road test, outside of the shop it was not uncommon to see all kinds of fancy cars there
But I can't remember the name of the guy but he was well known but his customers where famous.
It was fun to see Roy talking with the T shirt guy a real couple of Brummie's talking.

Bob,

All this happened after I had left Brum, but I have a few loose connections in that the late Mike Burney (sax) spent a while with Wizzard and is forever remembered on the Christmas record. Mike and I were mates and worked in the same bands for two or three years and I last met up with him at the Birmingham International Jazz Festival in 2013, I think it was. Anyway it was the same year I met up with Johnny Patrick after over 40 years. Also Jasper Carrott & Bev Bevan along with several other musicians went to the same school as me, though somewhat later than me, Moseley Grammar.

Bob,

All this happened after I had left Brum, but I have a few loose connections in that the late Mike Burney (sax) spent a while with Wizzard and is forever remembered on the Christmas record. Mike and I were mates and worked in the same bands for two or three years and I last met up with him at the Birmingham International Jazz Festival in 2013, I think it was. Anyway it was the same year I met up with Johnny Patrick after over 40 years. Also Jasper Carrott & Bev Bevan along with several other musicians went to the same school as me, though somewhat later than me, Moseley Grammar.

Ozzy was on TV here yesterday talking about his Parkinson's diagnosis then of course I read Terry Jones of Python Fame left us Tuesday the naked piano player.

Bob,

Sad that Ozzy has a painful form of Parkinsons, which I read in a newspaper report. And Terry Jones gone too. But many are past their three score years and ten and after that we are very much in the lap of. RIP Terry Jones.

WS,

true our maurice. I am.. my doc said you are fat pete loose some weight.or else. you are the oldest swinger in town.
as you say. mate " every morning you wake is a blessing. ,,,,

Last edited:
Thanks Maurice
Just had a little stroll down memory lane, had not thought about some of those songs forever.
I would see all those guys at times when they went to Rick Prices mom's house in a limo a rare sight back then
But thinking about it now it may have just been a port of call for the guys.
At the very top of Rubery village was a guy who made guitars for those rock n roll types and when passing on a road test, outside of the shop it was not uncommon to see all kinds of fancy cars there
But I can't remember the name of the guy but he was well known but his customers where famous.
It was fun to see Roy talking with the T shirt guy a real couple of Brummie's talking.
John Birch guitars was the guitar maker in Rubery it's worth a Google

Bob,

You might find this potted biography of Mike Burney of some interest Maurice...

Back