• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then and Now - please participate

Not much change here, the junction of Fox Hollies Rd and Olton Boulavard East, but at the time of the original photo to the right of the photographer would have stood the Fox Hollies pub now it's another supermarket.

Phil

Fox Hollies - Olton Boulavard.JPG

Last edited:
This is a somewhat changed location it was taken at the bottom of Great Francis St Nechells which no longer exists. It shows the junction of Saltley Road with the railway bridge just out of sight on the right with a No 62 tram being followed into Great Francis St by a No 8 tram with Saltley Gasworks in the background. I suppose it is the camera that makes them look closer than they in fact are.

In the modern photo everything has gone, Great Francis St has been replaced by Melvina Rd. On the right still out of view is the railway bridge over Saltley Rd also out of view is the modern art sculpture "Youth" which was placed there in the 60's. On the left would be Nechells Community Centre another refinement of the 60, in front is the traffic island that replaced the junction at more or less the same time.

Phil

Great Francis St - Saltley Rd.JPG

Last edited:
On my first view of the older photo of these two, I was a little surprised at the difference. Looking closer I realised how little difference there in fact was, and that all that had really been added was a bridge.

Foremans Rd, Sparkhill then & now.

Phil

Sparkhill Formans Rd.jpg

Last edited:

Digbeth 1940s (Thanks to Stitcher) and 2012. Difficult to get the viewpoint exactly the same without knowing what lens they took the original with. I took this one from the central reservation so the road has been widened considerably, its the closest to the original photo I could get.

Maris, your pics are great, thanks for posting them.
Have to say I agree with you, that railway bridge looks much bigger on todays picture, wonder if it was extended at some point, I'm sure someone will know!
Sue

Not as good as Maris's photos but here are some I have done in the past and posted in other threads, using google maps.

Now and then Gt Hampton Row 1.jpg Wheeler st looking to gt hampton row now.jpg The barn aaaa.jpg

1. Great Hampton Row
2. Wheeler Street looking towards Great Hampton Row.
3. Elmdon Village Farm, Coventry Road, on the opposite side of the road to The Old Airport

Just found this site!!! Bril just go's to show how time pass's by and most of us, we don't even notice

Regards Pete

Back