• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Then and now pics of brum

It's hard to tell when Christchurch was demolished 112 years ago! I just assumed thats where it was.

Still think it's odd that they moved bits from it to St Agatha's in Sparkbrook.

I'm no expert on where these lost buildings were.

From the book " Birmingham's lost landmarks". Christ Church was built by public subscription on the corner of what is now New Street and Colmore Row. The Church was consecrated in 1813. The site was sold in 1897 and proceeds used to found As Agatha's in Sparkbrook. The church was demolished in 1899

Christchurch was in fact replaced by Galloway corner, though it was built a little further back. This corner itself was later demolished right back to Christchurch passage to make way for the new square.

Phil

City New Street Galloways Corner-1954.jpg City Christchurch Passage .jpg

Last edited:
The Alliance Assurance Building is mentioned above, here a picture from 1909 and the working environment!

B0F58181-18E8-4E5B-8A3D-3D18DBEC9A58.jpeg 5E9C34B1-0B3B-4A5F-BB09-64CB6041C359.jpeg

Back