• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Theatre history

star43

master brummie
I know this is not strictly in the Birmingham arena but I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help. My daughter is trying to find out information about the 'Cockpit Theatre' in Bridgnorth 1811 - 1824. Does anyone know where we could find out anything about it?

star43 if you go to google and type in Worcester History Forum you will find plenty of websites of people who will probably be able to help you, good luck.

Regards trebor

nice theatre link Alf and from that link... Further information in: Gwilt, C.F. A history of the theatres of Bridgnorth.:)

Tom didn't really look first but I've looked since and its great, spotted a few old friends in the programme collection like Ronald Barker we know as Ronnie also a few others.:)

All in all a good find

Contact Bridgnorth Library and ask for a copy of Clive Gwilts 'Theatres of Bridgnorth' booklet. Inside it details the building of the cockpit which was situated behind the Raven Inn and even features some old adverts for plays being staged in the theatre. Gwynne Chadwick would be another good point of contact, he knows an immense amount about our fair town. Gwynne or Clive on your side and you won't go far wrong.

Good luck with your research :)

Back