• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

THE WOOLLEY'S OF TOWER ROAD, ASTON

The Baron

master brummie
ANY ONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THE WOOLLEY FAMILY (MY MOM'S ,MOM & DAD) FATHER ALBERT, MOTHER LYDIA . ALBERT BORN ABOUT 1870.WORKED FOR H.P.SAUCE. MY MOM IS THE LITTLE ONE ON MY NAN'S LAP,DONOT KNOW DATE OF PIC BUT MOM LOOKS ABOUT 3OR4 WHICH WOULD MAKE IT SOME TIME IN 1918?
HOPE YOU CAN HELP?
ASTON

Re: THE WOOLEY'S OF TOWER ROAD, ASTON

WOOPS. DATE OF PIC SHOULD READ ABOUT 1916.
SORRY.
ASTON :idiot2:

Aston,i dont know if he is related to you but i went to school with a Colin Wooley,they lived in Nechells in the 60s/70s. :)

Albert Woolley(2 'l's) married Lydia Margaret Shelley 1892 Aston
Albert Woolley registered Aston 1871.

THANKS ALBETTA, CANNOT SPELL MY OWN MUM'S MAIDEN NAME?  :idiot2:       JUST A SLIP OF THE KEY BOARD, YOU GOT IT RIGHT. THANKS AGAIN, ASTON

Aston, I have in my tree a Victor Albert Woolley born B'ham 1898 he married Gladys Baker. Moma P

What Area Did He Come From,? As Albert Woolley Was My Grandfather? & I Know He Had A Twin But His Name Escapes Me At This Time?

Hello Aston, I don't have many details on Victor known as Vic except his birth date 28/12/1898 I am in touch with his grandson so I will see what he has. My connection is through his wife Gladys born Birmingham died 1974 Sutton Coldfield. Gladys was my Dad's cousin.

My grandfather, Samuel Woolley, had a secondhand furniture shop at 68 Newtown Row which I think is just at the bottom of Tower Road. It was just where there ICI / Dulux Depot is now. His father was William Henry Woolley. I know that WHW had several brothers - do you know what Albert's father's name was? Unfortunately I can't see the picture as I think you posted it prior to the forum problems.

This is My Gdad Albert Woolley lived Tower road Aston Birmingham 6

Attachments

• Albert Woolley my Gdad.jpg
    Albert Woolley my Gdad.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 13
I will try to find the paper that lists all my Woolley great-great uncles and aunts and see if I can find a connection. Will also see what else I can find out and come back to you. It may take a while so don't think I've forgotten.

This is the information I have found so far: Albert Woolley (your grandfather) bapt 11 December 1870 together with his twin brother Arthur at St Stephen's Church. The family were living at the time in Brass Street. Thomas was a sword cutler*.
Lydia Margaret's father was Thomas Shelley and he was living with the family in 1911.
Albert's parents were Thomas Woolley and Hannah. I believe they may have been married in 1892 but will have to re-check that.

Thomas Woolley was baptised at St Alkmund's Church, Derby on 4 September 1836. His parents were Charles Woolley and Mary Clews.
The family moved to Birmingham sometime before the 1851 census and can be found living in Brasshouse Passage (off Broad Street). Charles was working on the canals at the time I believe.

Thomas had an older brother, also born in Derby, named William Henry. William Henry had a son named Samuel who was born in 1869. Samuel was Albert's cousin. Your Dad and my Mom, Doris Lilian, were second cousins so that makes The Baron and Lady Penelope third cousins! Exciting or what?

* In the 18th century there was a famous sword maker in Birmingham called Woolley but I've yet to find a connection.

Sorry, I've just realised that it was your Mom not Dad who was the Woolley. So it's our mothers who were second cousins.

Back