• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The wonders of nature

loisand

master brummie
I saw the most magnificant sight this morning in Meriden Park of the female swan carrying her sygnets to a shallower part, coming from the lake onto the river, it was wonderful, the parents so proud showing the brood of to the public......needless to say I did not have my camara with me, but below is a picture of mother or father keeping a close watch on their family in a shallow part of the river......enjoy

Loisland, I too saw them yesterday, counted 8 sygnets, thats 2 more than last year (6, four reaching maturity). It is as you say a wonderful site. Eric

The whole area is becoming really beautiful.
The stretch of river from the Chester road to the M6 is really nice place to walk.
The hill has beeen transformed with the extremely large Cotswold stone boulders and saplings and the small fish in the river are increasing in number.
There is a kingfisher down there and talking to a park ranger the other day he said that a white egret had been seen .They are prettier than other members of their family the grey herons.
Living just across the road I benefit by having many of the birds visiting my garden,the river reed wardlers often come across to visit me.
With all of the greenery, the birds plus the rabbits if it wasn't for the roar of the motorway you could be in the heart of the country.

Swans are so graceful and they are such good parents, and Meriden park is a lovely park now, I took my grandsons to football practice there a couple of weeks ago, and we saw a Heron flying over, the park is a lot better than when I lived by there about 20 years ago.

Alberta we used to take our 3 girls there in the 70s for picknicks. then walk on to Coleshill. Do you rember the big ER planted out on the hill.

Robert,we still say'taking the dogs over to the ER',if i remember correctly it was put there in 1977,Jubilee year.

I have lived around here for 42 years,first in Marlene Croft ,then Conway road,now at Bacons End and the area just gets better.
Between Solihull council and the Kingfisher project the park and river inprove every year.
Now that Chelmsleys' new police chief has clamped down on off roaders and graffiti artists things may improve even more.

Is that Park anything to do with Kingfisher Park & Sheldon Park please as they are all under the same heading on Google

I don't know of a Kingfisher park Alf,Meriden park ,in Chelsmley Wood, is cared for by Solihull council as is Kingshurst park along with Cole bank park which is the land either side of the river Cole from Bacons End bridge on the Chester road to the motorway.
Sheldon country park is maintained by Birmingham city council.

Just made the connection Alf.
Kingfisher park is in the Kendrick Avenue area of Shard End and is a continuation of the Cole bank park
and Sheldon Country park is joined to Meriden park by a brook that runs from Sheldon country park into the lake in Meriden park which in turn flows to the Cole.I knew that Hatchford brook came through Marston green and joined the lake but I didn't know it came from Sheldon park.
Thanks Alf I learn something new every day.Alberta.

Last edited:
I have tried to follow that brook but it goes into the Airport just beyond the railway viaduct, there is a brook coming out of the airport by the golf course on the other side , I presume it will be a continuation of the same one. Last year I was lucky enough to see an otter on the banks of the Cole, close by where the have placed the stepping stones, also saw my first Kingfisher (just a multicoloured blur), breeding herons and that part is swarming with rabbits, counted 15 yesterday I walk my 2 dogs there every day all year round, cross the stepping stones and back home up the other side, about 2 miles total, really pleasant, even in the winter

Hatchford Brook runs through Elmdon park as well. The one thing i notice when ever i drive through Chelmsley Wood is how litter free the large green area's are and how well planted they are.

Loisand. Thank you for sharing those photographs with us. Its certainly something beautiful about this time of year,

Alberta, are these the stones you mean, I think they would have been better closer together, jusy my opinion. Eric

Back