• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Women's Hospital, Stratford Rd., Birmingham. c1880

kimbrown64

Hi, does anyone have a photo of the Women's Hospital, Stratford Road, Birmingham from around 1880.Many thanks. Kim.

The 21 bedded Woman's Hospital was located on the Stratford Road between 1878-1904

Colin

Attachments

• womans3.jpg
    womans3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 64
where abouts stratford rd is this please,i knew of showell green lane off stratford rd thanks

The Old Women's hospital site is now taken up by The English Martyrs Catholic School at the junction of Evelyn Rd and Stratford Rd in Sparkhill just diagonally opposite the Library and old Police Station. I am attaching a 1905 OS map that shows the location clearly.

Attachments

• Sparkhill Map 1904.JPG
    Sparkhill Map 1904.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 25
so it seems the hodpital kept moving sites.the one in showell green lane and i remember something to do with women on wake green rd an finally the Q.E IN HARBORNE?im only surmising

Sorrento maternity hospital was on Wake Green Road.

Women's moved from Showell Green Lane to QE site but separate - now there is talk of combining it with a new Children's' hospital on the QE site.

Janice

Janice

See also thread on site under Womens Hospital History and development - some very interesting phots and history notes - fascinating.

I remember the Showell Green Lane building built in 1905. Lovely Edwardian building with Arts & Crafts influence. I used to go past it on the bus for years in the 1970s. Was it a listed building? Sadly this didn't stop it being demolished and the modern eyesore being built on the site.

Back