• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Wheatsheaf, Suffolk Street

G

gham

Forum
Any knowledge, memories of 'The Wheatsheaf', Suffolk Street, central Birmingham?-my grandfather and grandmother (gt uncle, great aunt) were landlord and -lady in the 1930s, though I need to check the dates of their tenancy. Samuel William Edwards and Florence Mary Edwards-both now deceased, though fondly remembered.
gham

Kellys 1921 lists William Auger at the Wheatsheaf. For 1932 it was Samuel William Edwards and for 1933 Mrs Pheobe Crockett. In most cases you can take the year of the information to be one year earlier than the issue date.
McKenna's book on Central Birmingham pubs states that the first ref. to the pub was in 1808. It formerley brewed its own beer, and was bought by mitchells brewery around 1891. One year after the brewery merged to form M&B (mitchell & butlers) in 1898, plans were drawn up for its updating. It closed in 1960.
Mike

McKenna's book on Central Birmingham pubs states that the first ref. to the pub was in 1808. It formerley brewed its own beer, and was bought by mitchells brewery around 1891.
Mike
I'm afraid this is incorrect - the pub is a little earlier and was licensed in 1806. Also, Mitchell's leased the building in July 1875 and finally bought the freehold in December 1897.
I see from the paragraph above in the same book it is stated that the King's Arms closed in 1925 but it actually closed for trading on September 29th 1962, some 37 years later!

I'm afraid this is incorrect - the pub is a little earlier and was licensed in 1806. Also, Mitchell's leased the building in July 1875 and finally bought the freehold in December 1897.
I see from the paragraph above in the same book it is stated that the King's Arms closed in 1925 but it actually closed for trading on September 29th 1962, some 37 years later!
As I am interested in Suffolk Street at the moment, I looked to see what Joseph McKenna had written on the Three Crowns. He writes that it "was run by Irishman Frank MacKaness post-1812." However, the licence register has this person running a Three Crowns at Steelhouse Lane whilst the Three Crowns at Suffolk Street was being kept by Joseph Twist. By the way, the pub was certainly in existence by 1801.

I am interested in the Wheatsheaf Pub, Suffolk Street as I have found that my 3xgreat grandfather, Paul Gardner was landlord there in the early 1800s. I have reports of him selling up in 1827 when it would appear that he had fallen on hard times and he is later appointed as Assistant Overseer of the Poor. Any more info would be appreciated. Thank you.

I would love to see this, but unfortunately the link no longer seems to work. Any suggestions? Thank you.

I think parts of the site may be down.hopefully Kieron will see your post

'fraid so Mike. The Internet is a great thing but it is people who ruin it. I have had to address serious breaches of copyright that got quite ugly. Despite winning the battle, I find myself having to rebuild the site with new security features and, sadly, plastering images with script and watermarks. Putting stuff back up will take a l-o-o-n-n-n-g time.

Thank you midlandspubs.co.uk If/when you have info on the Wheatsheaf Pub in Suffolk Street, Birmingham back up, I shall be very interested to view! I have some newspaper reports concerning my 3xgreat grandfather, Paul Gardner, after his time there, but it would be lovely just to know a little about his time at the pub if that info is available anywhere. Thank you for your work.

Back