• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Warwick Vase

John That is the Warwick Vase,but what is it doing their ? Unless its a copy as the top dont look right to be the original

it says it is the Warwick vase presented to the Earl of Warwick could do with having a look at the other side perhaps the top as been vandalised

after a few hours I have found this notice the date and Victorias photograph on the wall I need to look all round the one in the warehouse as I think the freeze is different front and back and in the one I took today there are bolt holes around the top rim as if some think as been taken off this history thing is like being detectives

John I am sure that pic is the Warwick Bowl that was on loan to Aston Hall as I studied it when it was in the Conservatory at Warwick about 20 years ago

can you remember if the front is different from the back the sides look the same the one you put on looks as if it as been gilded any idea were it was taken

John the Original Warwick Vase was found in a lake in the 17th c in Italy smashed to pieces and it was recovered and restored now I know over 50 copies were made and are dotted about all over the country some made of cast iron
The original one was made in one piece no bolt on attachments but one of the heads was altered and restyled

I have read some where that one of the industrialists can't remember which one yet had the one wall of the lodge gate taken down to get Warwick bowl/urn into the park grounds need to try and sort this out unlees any one else can help out O0

John After Queen Victoria came to the park the contents of the Hall was sold and it later became a museum perhaps thats why the Gate house was taken down to get the Warwick Vase in
I have a photo of the room that it was in and will post a bit later but it was on loan and went back to Warwick and a few years ago the Government stepped in and stopped it being sold abroad by the Earl Of Warwick and as far as I know it ended up in Scotland

PS The gatehouse was taken down in 1959 as I have a Pic

Looks like many of these Warwick Urns were made later on. This comes from a recycle site: -- Haven't turned up anything on the Aston Hall one.

"The Warwick Urn was originally a piece that was excavated in Italy by Gavin Hamilton and painstakingly rebuilt, a process that was both time consuming and expensive. This urn depicts a scene including eight gods. Legend has it that Lady Hamilton offended the restorer of the urn, so he changed one of the god's heads into a portrait of her with devil ears. This urn includes a base block measuring 27 1/2 inches squared. The classical beauty of late 18th and early 19th century period garden ornaments is here faithfully reproduced in composition stone and terra cotta, with painstaking attention to detail and the same spirit of enthusiasm that created the originals. The origins and history of each piece are studied and particular care is taken in faithful color reproduction. Some of the most elegant and illustrious hotels and houses throughout the world have bought these vases."

I remember quite well what happened at the time Jennyann ( as I use to do a lot of sketching of Statues etc) The Earl of Warwick was flogging all the treasures of Warwick Castle off and no one knew at the time till the Warwick Vase was crated up but the Government would not grant an export licence as it had been sold to someone in France.The sale was stopped and it had to remain in this country so he flogged it to the Scots. but he did sell a lot of Silver and antiques etc.
So the one in the Burrel collection is the Real one and all the others are copies

John the two urns in reply 3 are still their at 8 this morning  O0
And the City Art Gallery and Museum used it as an overspill museum from 1878

No John,  Son had a look as he came past, but here is a B&W Snapshot same colour as the vase
Not the same as in reply3 but you don't know if artistic licence was used in the drawing as it was a small portion of a larger print

John I knew I had a drawing somewhere, Just found this from Newspaper (London Illustrated News)1845 showing a copy of the Warwick Vase at the Free Trade Bazaar

Think your mystery has been solved.

Went to Aston Church years ago - am I dreaming was there was a bloody hand in the window

Back