• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Ward End Pub

W

Wendy

We went to the Ward End pub today it is now named the Shahi Masala. It is now an Indian, Italian and Chinese Buffett. We realy enjoyed it the food was great and very cheap as it was lunch time. As we walked in I noticed a lovely old Victorian fire place which had obviously been restored. The building was lovely athough opened up a lot of the original features were still there, mouldings around the ceiling, dark oak picture rails etc.
Michael was taken straight back to his youth. He told me he hadn't been there for over 50 years. He used to go as a youngster of 16 and play domino's with the men in the 'gents only lounge' that wouldn't happen today. He said when he went there for a drink with his mates, they never caused any trouble because you just didn't then. He said you wouldn't dare anyway as the men in the bar were a tough lot and would give you a right slap if you were cheeky to the old guys. Michael has often mentioned some of the wise things he was told by these men as a lad and never forgot most of what he was told... maybe a lesson todays youth could learn.
The pub sign was still swinging outside with with Ward End Pub on it and some trees and a hill. We were not sure if it was the original one.

I am sure that I played for a football team ( when I was still at school) that was based at this pub. Ward End Utd or something like that.

Back