• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The war years

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I have just looked at a photo on the main site, it was of the two ladies cantin'. It reminded me of the two items of uniform that seemed obligatory to the women in my young days. One was the turban, worn with pride. Sometimes with curlers on show, but as was the habit of my ma with The Sweeps well to the fore. The hair was parted and sectioned off into three pieces at the front of the head, then the top piece was rolled and pinned into place, followed by the side pieces. This hair was peroxided to within an inch of its life, amazing really that it didn't fall out.

The other bit of kit was the pinny. It went on in the morning, stiff with starch, served its purpose all day, and if visitors were expected you heard 'Oi'll just go and change me pinny.'

They were wonderful women those mums. I am only glad that mine lived to know me as I am. She was overawed I know at how far we had come. She shouldn't have been because the Brummie in me will never change, she made me what I am.

Back