• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The War in Burma

A few more pics showing the Landing Craft (Guns) that my Dad served on. Whether they were taken in around Burma I don't know as he was also involved in the Italy/Sicily landings before being posted to the Far East.

A bit of googling suggests that this type of vessel appeared too late for the Sicilian/Italian landings and so the images are likely to have been taken in the Far East, perhaps in 1945.

Wonderful material - this and the earlier post - and thanks for it. Several of them pose questions which will now never be answered. For example the burial at sea image - two unknown fellows and their comrades bidding them farewell, but who they were and what were the circumstances.....?

IMG_20170818_0008.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Chris you may well be right I can't say for sure. Because this was amongst his photos I think that this may be the burial of some of his comrades a few days after the Normandy landings when his craft LCG 13 was hit by a shell fired from a German shore battery that landed in the Royal Marines' messdeck killing several young men.
A fuller account can be seen in my post on another thread

Lucky 13 (LCG 13) The part they played at on D Day and in the Normandy landings

As there is nothing on the reverse of the photo, no dates , names etc. of course I may be wrong. I wonder if there is a way of finding out a list of crew members who were aboard at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine that an expert might be able to look at the burial image and decide which type of craft the men are on (it's almost certainly the stern of whatever it was). This would possibly determine dates. I'm pretty sure that other images - showing R458 and R398 - are of vessels which came too late for D-Day and the photos may well have been taken in the Far East.

I'm wondering what was the likelihood of a young man being equipped - and permitted - to take photographs on active service in June 1944. (Also it does look as though it's tropical kit which is being worn). If indeed it was LCG 13, this is a rare photograph indeed.

Whenever it was, what experiences your father - and so many other lads of his generation - lived through.

Chris

I imagine that an expert might be able to look at the burial image and decide which type of craft the men are on (it's almost certainly the stern of whatever it was). This would possibly determine dates. I'm pretty sure that other images - showing R458 and R398 - are of vessels which came too late for D-Day and the photos may well have been taken in the Far East.

I'm wondering what was the likelihood of a young man being equipped - and permitted - to take photographs on active service in June 1944. If indeed it was LCG 13, this is a rare photograph indeed.

Whenever it was, what experiences your father - and so many other lads of his generation - lived through.

Chris
I don't think that Dad took the pictures as he is featured in one of them. How he got them I have no idea.

I'm wondering what was the likelihood of a young man being equipped - and permitted - to take photographs on active service in June 1944. (Also it does look as though it's tropical kit which is being worn). If indeed it was LCG 13, this is a rare photograph indeed.

Chris

Maybe it is an official photograph ?

My uncle was with the first personnel to arrive at Belson. He had in his possession about 50 harrowing photographs. I enquired at the War Museum with the idea of donating them, but they said they had already many photos.

Eventually the brother of a contact picked them up in London and took them to Tel Aviv. There they were identified as official and copies were given to certain individuals. Although they were familiar with the pictures they stated their gratitude in the donation.

Back