• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The War in Burma

Can anyone help with explanations in the text of my Dad's WW2 military records please. (He came out of Burma in 1946.)
- Leave with RA - Admitted hospital 27 CCS and 80BGH

I can have a go Glennys,
"Leave with RA" could mean Leave with Royal Artillery.
The 2nd is probably 27 Casualty Clearing Station
and the 3rd is likely to be 80 British General Hospital.
Was your Dad a casualty ?

He entered 'the concessional area' in March 44. He then left 'concessional area' in Aug 44, and was admitted to hospital 3 times between then and Feb 45. He was then posted to Deolali transit camp pending embarquement for leave in UK.
As far as I know he wasn't wounded, but suffered from dysentery and malnutrition. So you may be right that those references are the hospitals he went into for recuperation. Many thanks for that maypole baz.

He entered 'the concessional area' in March 44. He then left 'concessional area' in Aug 44, and was admitted to hospital 3 times between then and Feb 45. He was then posted to Deolali transit camp pending embarquement for leave in UK.
As far as I know he wasn't wounded, but suffered from dysentery and malnutrition & malaria. So you may be right that those references are the hospitals he went into for recuperation. Many thanks for that maypole baz.
Now found this on the web :
The Casualty Clearing Stations were the front line medical units, whose role was to accept the sick and wounded, assess the casualties, carry out emergency treatment and evacuate the casualties to a general hospital behind the lines. They were highly mobile military hospitals.

Dad in India.jpg dad + 2 friends.jpg

My late, dearly beloved Dad, was a Burma Star holder although as far as I know not a member of the Burma Star Association.
He enlisted in the Royal Marines and served in Europe and Asia.
He didn't talk a great deal about his service experiences but I have his service and discharge papers together with his medals which include the Burma Star.
I look at the photo posted last and see his face and he looks so young, hardly old enough to fight for his country.
I have a few more pictures of the ship he served on, a LCG, and I'll post them later if members want to see them.

IMG_20170818_0007.jpg
IMG_20170820_0005.jpg

IMG_20170820_0006.jpg

IMG_20170820_0007.jpg

IMG_20170820_0009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few more pics showing the Landing Craft (Guns) that my Dad served on. Whether they were taken in around Burma I don't know as he was also involved in the Italy/Sicily landings before being posted to the Far East.

IMG_20170820_0002.jpg

IMG_20170820_0004.jpg

IMG_20170820_0003.jpgIMG_20170820_0003.jpg

IMG_20170820_0005.jpg

IMG_20170818_0008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad, Norman Stanier, served in Burma during WW2 and never claimed his medals. He was in the Kings Own Royal Regiment. I recently applied for his medals and received them just last week. They are very precious to me as we lost him in 2007. He was another one who never spoke about the war and I didn't want to ask him for fear of upsetting him. How I wish now that I had spoken to him about it. He may have opened up about it but probably didn't want to because he had 4 daughters and probably didn't think it would be appropriate. I think he was one of the Chindits and would love to find out more if anyone can help.

welcome to the forum tinjim if you havnt already have you thought about applying for your dads service records as they my give you some useful information

lyn

I have just printed the forms out so just need to fill them in and post them. Thank you for replying.
I was wondering if there was anyone on here that knew anything though.

Hello Rosie,my dad died in 1977,my dad would never talk about the war either,so in 2008 I requested his army records,the were very informative,he was in the chindits,which I never knew,so much info in the records,well worth it,good luck,regards George

I haven't sent the forms off yet as I didn't want them to get lost in the Christmas post but I will in the new year. Fingers crossed I will get some good information like you did George.

Y'know, my Dad has a Burma Star but I have never seen it.........it's wrapped up & put away in some cupboard...........he wont talk about his time in Burma at all other than to say "its the past". Dad was a Chindit & something in me says I should be very proud of my Dad (I am anyway, not because of this just he's my Dad & therefore I'm very biased:)) but I'd love to know more about what he went thru. You've got me thinking there Bernard.
Hi, my dad was in Burma when he was 19. What a thought. Here is his medals, the Burma Star is second from the left.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 15
Some great pictures here and the only way we get to see these is if members post them. They are much appreciated I can assure you. And many thanks for posting them.

Maurice :cool:

I don't know if I told anyone on this site that when I was a kid living in the back to backs in Pigott street off Bath Row, I climbed into our loft and found an army rifle, I since found out from by brother in law who was in the Britsh Army it was a Martini Henry dated in 1890s. What a find.

Back