• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The War in Burma

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
I think Bill Slim was spot on when he said his lads in the XIV were the
forgotten Army, when you read about the terrain, the weather and the sub
human enemy they were fighting its a wonder any of them came back.
Whenever I see someone with the Burma Star they go up 100% in my
estimation cheers Bernard

Y'know, my Dad has a Burma Star but I have never seen it.........it's wrapped up & put away in some cupboard...........he wont talk about his time in Burma at all other than to say "its the past". Dad was a Chindit & something in me says I should be very proud of my Dad (I am anyway, not because of this just he's my Dad & therefore I'm very biased:)) but I'd love to know more about what he went thru. You've got me thinking there Bernard.

it was a forgotten war and all who went there suffered The real problem for the Allies was the environment. Burma was criss-crossed with jungle, mountains, rivers and mangrove swamps. Moving equipment was a nightmare across such hazardous terrain and worse was the constant threat of disease. Malaria was a very real problem:(

This tale is as vivid now as it was when it occured over 50 yars ago.My mother,father and I were walking in Bidford on Avon for a newspaper after his fishing contest had ended.My father deliberately crossed the road as he thought he had recognised someone he new.My father asked"Is your name Slater".Slater then went white as a sheet shaking uncontrollably and replied"Yes but if you are who I think you are I am seeing a ghost"Dad then headed for the pub to buy him a brandy.
What caused all this was that they served together in Burma and my father got shot in the back and shoulder by a Jap.Slater looked over dad and thought he was dead and in the turmoil carried on doing what he had to do. Unbeknown to him shortly after 2 Ghurkas also checked dad out, found he was still alive, placed him in a ditch,put a grenade in his hand and covered him with foliage.They returned 2 days later and saved his life.Eventually he was evacuated to India until the end of the war.
As a post note my father would have turned in his grave at how the Ghurkas would have been treated if Britains politicians had gotten their way.

Here is my moms brother

sniper_tlc.jpg

cwgc_hdr_trc.gif

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
In Memory of
Gunner FRANK MARKLAND

4181571, 5 Searchlight Regt., Royal Artillery
who died age 42
on 14 July 1944
Son of George and Lily E. Markland, of Birmingham; husband of L. F. Markland, of Kingstanding, Birmingham.
Remembered with honour
KRANJI WAR CEMETERY
kranji%20july%202004%20(41).JPG

Commemorated in perpetuity by
the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

spacer.gif

My mothers other brother Frederick Markland survived Burma he was a R S M and was awarded the Burma Star as well as other campaign medals he was a great soldier.

I have got the badge of his sleeve that he sent my mom from India and also a letter where he is metioned in dispatches

I also have photos of him with the chindits as he was out there training them

As any body got any ideas where i can obtain his records from plus all the medals that he got.i feel humble as iwrite this

Mossy

G'day Mossy,
This is my dads old pal,I have visited Kranji a few times to put flowers on his grave.What I did find out was the Royal Artillery arrived in Singapore,in Jan.1942.However their equipment,and guns was with another convoy,which never arrived,so can't imagine what they fought with.BIRD, ROBERTInitials:RNationality:United KingdomRank:GunnerRegiment/Service:Royal ArtilleryUnit Text:85 Anti-Tank Regt.Age:29Date of Death:15/02/1942Service No:1114619Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:12. C. 14.Cemetery:KRANJI WAR CEMETERY
On a lighter note,years ago in a pub in Yorkshire...the gaffer asked if my children would like some Burma Star Rock,he had it made every year for their reunion.

Ray you say he was your dads old pal my uncle Fred ran a shop in Electric Avenue when he eventually came out of the army

Mossy

I did something wrong somewhere Mossy.Never mind, what we do know is, the final resting place of your uncle Frank and my dad's pal Bobby,along with their comrades is a beautiful place,on a hill,in very well kept gardens.

This is my Dad (standing in front of car, smoking pipe) in India. Before going into Burma, he was in India being 'fattened up' & then afterwards when he came out of the jungle, he was recovering there too (malaria etc).

The horror of it Dolphie.A man I worked with years ago was a chindit and later a P.O.W.Now this man was sturdy and well built, his normal weight would have been about 12 stone.He told me at the end of the war he was kept in India for 6 months until he gained weight...his weight had dropped to 5 stone.

Nice photo.of your dad,like the pipe...he must have been all of 18.

My mom's cousin,another Brummy "doing his bit".Traced his regiment to the battle of Kohima.
Don't know who's blood is on the back of the photo.

Back