• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Victors film

Novelty

knowlegable brummie
I was watching a 1963 film 'The Victors' starring Eli Wallach, George Hamilton & George Peppard and in one of the scenes Peppard as a G.I. was waiting for a bus somewhere in England outside a row of Victorian terraced houses and when the single decker arrived it had 'Midland' in big letters along the side but didn't look like a Midland Red bus. It was a half cab, had sliding ventilators on the side windows and Registration plate below the radiator with 2 letters & 4 Numbers and it sounded like a diesel. The scene is about 2 hrs 10 mins into the film. Anyone any ideas as to its identity?

Hi,

Haven't seen the film, but it sounds like one of the early to mid 1930's single deckers.
Registration would have probably been HA XXXX.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi David,

I've had a look back through my mid 50's Ian Allen Midland Red ABC, which includes quite a lot of mid 30's buses,
and all the listed buses have HA 2 and 3 letter Registrations. I couldn't vouch for the earlier vehicles though.
There are many experts here in the bus field, and I am sure someone can advise you.
Is it possible to revisit the film through I-player etc and confirm the registration letters? This would almost
certainly lead back to the origin of the vehicle.

Kind regards

Dave

According to the credits the film was shot in France, Italy, Sweden, Shepperton Studio and Tilbury England..

Registration number of the bus seems to be ?A 5825. Have looked at the film and used the pause button to take two exterior shots and 1 interior. Cannot quite read the first registration letter on the left, even when blown up. Dave.
P1020172.JPGP1020173.JPGP1020174.JPG

The Bus is a Albion Valkyrie PW65 with a Cowieson B32R, (Bus 32 Seat Rear entrance) body. The PW65 was introduced in 1931. It had a 17ft 8in wheelbase and could carry up to 36 seated passengers depending on the body type fitted.

The Albion Valkyrie was a rare beast not many were produced and most were bodied as coaches, few as Buses.

Looking at the listed registrations of the Bus bodied Albions, only one could be this bus That is AV 5826 new 5/33 to the Strachan bus company , Ballater. No other registration number comes close. The bus was probably retired sometime in the early 1960's (Strachan eventually sold out to Scottish bus group in 1965), which fits in with the film timescale, and the Strachans livery was red so painting a Midland fleetname for the film would be a cheap and simple task for the film.
A 30 year old bus, Probably rescued from the scrapyard for the film, and then disposed of.

Back