• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Victorian Times

Lovely Pictures Annie - not so sure about the good old days when women in their marriage vows had to promise to 'obey' - that wouldn't suit me one bit LOL

1571217680856.png
I have posted this here as, from what I believe, it has no Birmingham connection. But, as that famous Yorkshireman, Truly of The Yard, might say, "he could be lying". :laughing:
The photograph is of All Saints Church, North Street, York and taken in 1890. The church is medieval and has interesting windows and history.
However, the article in the York Press specifically mentions the gentleman on the right and suggests that today he would be looking at a mobile phone. As the photo is 1890 invitations, in a humorous vein, about what he might be looking at are invited.
My suggestion is that he is a rent collector, looking at his collection book. ;)

The young woman looks rather like she has a phone as well, but she is not part of the enquiries. But maybe she looks at coins, to see what food she can buy in nearby shops. :)

Back