• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Victorian House of Arts and Crafts (BBC2)

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
This programme of the series first shown on 11 January 2019, is now available on IPlayer may be of interest. I wonder how many female silversmiths existed in Birmingham in Victorian times?

“Using original Victorian tools and techniques, they create arts and crafts objects including a Sussex chair, CR Ashbee bowl and William Morris-inspired wallpaper - all from scratch and all in a week. “
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...n-house-of-arts-and-crafts-series-1-episode-1

The man who made the chair worked so hard on it, I thought it was lovely. The wallpaper was heavy work but I prefer the real William Morris to her interpretation. I liked the tiles too, they didn't seem to spend as much time on him as they did with the others.
rosie.

The man who made the chair worked so hard on it, I thought it was lovely. The wallpaper was heavy work but I prefer the real William Morris to her interpretation. I liked the tiles too, they didn't seem to spend as much time on him as they did with the others.
rosie.

One for you Rosie! From an article in the Illustrated London News of October 1974.

As there must be many connections between Birmingham and the Arts and Crafts movements I think it deserves a Thread of its own, with the rest of this article which features Birmingham.

AC54CB7D-F759-4FB7-818F-A61A6BC52E3E.jpeg286F4624-8C8F-4C95-AEA9-410B3A20BB59.jpeg

Thank you Pedrocut!
Last night they made a bed and bedspread amongst other things.
I have an aspidistra stand which my Father made for my Grandmother almost 80 years ago. He loved making things from wood until he became disabled so it's good to see these craftspeople in action.
rosie.

Just started watching this programme and as an Arts and Crafts fan, was amazed at what the participants could achieve, particularly the skills of the female silversmith. Wonderful work.

The programme inevitably cannot faithfully replicate the conditions under which these groups would have worked, but it’s interesting how the strains of cooperative working come to the fore in the programme. I felt some were being a bit precious for the benefit of the camera, but you can see how tensions would have arisen and, in some cases, how they could have destroyed the cooperative.

The biggest aspect to come out for me was the enormous effort (physical and mental) it must have taken to produce the items. Some lovely items too, all without the aid of power tools. Viv.

Interesting point you raise there Viv. The Arts and Crafts movement developed out of a desire to move away from mass production techniques. But it became the victim of its own virtue because the goods produced were so expensive and labour intensive, therefore costly.

Personally, I love it, and living in an Arts and Crafts style house, I have made a significant amount of furniture in this style to match.

This programme of the series first shown on 11 January 2019, is now available on IPlayer may be of interest. I wonder how many female silversmiths existed in Birmingham in Victorian times?

“Using original Victorian tools and techniques, they create arts and crafts objects including a Sussex chair, CR Ashbee bowl and William Morris-inspired wallpaper - all from scratch and all in a week. “
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...n-house-of-arts-and-crafts-series-1-episode-1

Pedrocut only just noticed this post , I thought that programme was great I notice now they are repeating it

Back