• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Vampire

R

Rod

Some years ago we posted this picture on Virtual Brum and it caused quite a stir.

We had no details then and folk enjoyed trying to find out all they could about it. I hope you like it and might want to try to identify it too?

Attachments

• City Great Edmund Street vampire1a[1].jpg
    City Great Edmund Street vampire1a[1].jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 56
According to the book "Pub memories of Summer Lane and Newtown" The Vampire pub was in Gt. Hampton Row, but had already closed by 1930, that is all the info that the book says!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Vampire Tavern

Does anyone know anything about the Vampire Tavern , 33 Great Hampton row , operating in the 1850"s?

City Great Edmund Street vampire1a[1].jpg Not sure it's the same Vampire but we posted this on Virtual Brums forums some years ago now. I love the picture. What is your interest in it Saxon

It was run by by ggg grandfather's brother John Stagg. it's the name that gets me.

I know ggg grandfather's brother John Stagg was there both in 1858 in Dix's and in the 1861 Census. (33 Great Hampton Row) (with his wife Eliza. I'm wondering if they are still there in 1868 because I know thye've gone by 1871. It would be nice to think that is them in that picture but it must be too late for them:(

staggs and pub

there was no pub or John Stagg in 1845, he and the pub was there 1855 and 1862 but not in 1868
also William and John seem to have the same trade are they related also who is Henry Neptune Stagg he is in the beer trade
William info from 1852/53 Slaters directory

No Neptune was born in Nottingham unlike William and John so he's not related . As for William that is very interesting as I have him as a button burnisher in 41, 51 and 61. and in 62 when his son gets married. I supppose that in the great expansion of Birmingham in the mid 19th C other people came in. The greatest density of Staggs come from Wiltshire and Somerset so not too far to come for work. John was originally a brass founder but when he remarries his widowed wife was a ginger beer seller -so presumably it was her expertise that enabled them to run the pub. But thanks for the pictures.! it gives a complete shape to the story. I wonder why it was called that (And no jokes about only serving Bloody Mary's -we've done all those!):D

Lyn
its difficult to be absolutely certain , but i think it is the red building. Certainly either this or one of those either side of it. This also fits with the picture showing quite a wide building , and that the outhouses at the back would be appropriate for a pub
Mike
PS Added while reposting. we now can be certain that this was the Vampire

gt_hampton_row_c_1889_showing_pos__of_Vampire.jpg

hi mike...many thanks for the map..just like ive got me bearings could you mark out where the church inn is please...when i have the time i would like to go and see the spot where the vampire was....

thanks again mike

lyn

...ahh the hampton...ive spent many a happy hour or 10 in there when it was the minerva vaults....totally wrecked it now..it was busted a couple of years ago i think....it was being used for growing drugs but i dont think it was open as a pub at the time...

Lynn
The census of 1861 gives john stagg at 33 Gt Hampton row. the page itself doesn't name the road , but the page before shows it as Gt Hampton row. No 33 is not named as the vampire, but john is a retail brewer adn the court behind is named "Vampyre court", so I think it is definitely GHR. Will send you the pages.
Mike

any views as to why the pub was called the vampire though, always struck me as an odd name for a pub but also a fascinating one. Cheers

hi brian.ive always thought what a strange name for a pub but if you read mikes post no12 it could be that it was named after vampyre court which was close by...only a guess mind but its the best one we can come up with at the moment..

lyn

From the photo you can see that it was next to a butchers, and it looks like the butcher hung his meat in the alleyway to the back of the Vampire, so there was plenty of blood around !
Mike

scary name and a scary looking pub but how i wish I could have seen it. Living literally just up the road from the likely site I also wished i had been living around here when the Gothic was open. would love any detail on that pub plus any pictures people may have. Cheers

what a shame that saxonw is just a guest now i think he would have liked what i have come across. ...anyhow here are 2 pics of the vampire 33 gt hampton row along with a map pinpointing it and the yard at the back was called vampire yard..what confirms its address is this 1850s advert which i found fascinating as it seems as though it was also a most unusual museum and also confirms that saxonw.s gt gt gt grandfathers brother john stagg ran it...kellys confirms a butchers next door..to those who are familar with the area the vampire would have been just a bit further down from the minerva pub heading towards gt hampton st..

lyn

vampire_33_gt_hampton_row_2.jpgVampireGtHampton_street.jpg

Back