• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Valley pub, Billesley

Interesting to see the occupants of 847 in 1950. My Nan, Louisa Webb together with her stepdaughter and and step grandaughter Alice and Margaret Gilkes lived there also. I also lived there very briefly with my Mom and Dad around 1951 before we moved to Sheldon. I wonder when my Gran moved in? I always remember her living there.
Only some e rolls are online but 1957 has this
1620895022267.png

I remember Mrs Trevis in the last prefab by the turning circle. She had a big buddleia in the garden and I used to go and watch the butterflies.
hello Rita! Do you remember my sister at all, Ann Boodle? She would have been 7/8 and I (John) would have been 3/4 in 1950.
I remember there being 2 children next door but I didn't play outside the garden or house very much at first. I would have been 5, so in between the two of you, my sister Doreen was nearly 3.

Lovely, sadly I don't have any family photos of Brum, only holiday snaps. How wonderful it would have been to have a smartphone in the 1950's.

I have posted this picture before on the prefabs thread but here it is againIMG_20170817_0004.jpg
Mom and I outside the front door of 847 taken around 1950/51. It must have been newly built as the garden hadn't been planted yet. Somewhere I have another taken with my Dad "helping" him to dig the garden.

Hi all I’m new to forum I was born in oak Croft road in 1951 and the other half of my family lived in chinbrook, worked behind the bar at the Valley and the Haven in the 70s, a great pub back in the day something you don’t see now, a pub with a Bar / Smoke room / gents only / and an assembly room/ had some great times there, anyone remember the disco they had there on a Wednesday night in the 70s

I lived right opposite The Valley Pub growing up in the 1970's. 850 Yardley Wood Rd. This was my dad and mom's local pub. They played dominos for the team there also I remember my mom playing darts for 24 hours for charity. I would wait outside in my dad's car playing in the car park and sitting waiting for them to come out when finished. I remember the owner had children Michelle and Terrance. I can remember our coal man called Sid who lived on Chin Brook rd. I can remember the 18 bus terminal and the prefab type houses that was on the side going up Yardley Wood rd, I had a friend who lived in one there and we would go into her shed to play. I also remember the Poppin shop, we called it the 1p shop, I think there was a green grocer by the Poppin shop as I can recall apples being outside in boxes. I went to Billesley Junior School and I walked there by myself in them years without any hassle and felt safe.
Hi im michelles and terences little sister my mom and dad was terry and sylvia

Me in the back garden and Mom and Dad in the front doorway of the prefab
Love these pictures. I lived in a prefab with mum dad and sister from about 1956 - 1961. I recall as wonderful times, they were on highfield Road, Yardley wood, opposite the doctors surgery. Dr Cadigan! My dad made the garden beautiful. We were all so proud to have a home.

Isn't it interesting that we all loved our prefabs. Would we still enjoy living in them now, I wonder, when we've got used to having central heating, double glazing, fitted carpets, etc etc? I think I would.

hi villian was there an entrance that ran by your shop to the back a short cut for people from the houses from denby grove

or have i got all mixed up?
If your Dad was Vic he used to cross us over Y Wd Rd on our way home from school. Mom always bought her meat there.

That clinic brings back a lot of bad memories the school dentist operated from there he was a little Scots man and I will never forget his approach to nervous children it went something like if you dont stop crying I will give you something to cry about, how times have changed.
I had very bad memories of the dental clinic which are still with today whenever I go to the dentist. I guess that was the 1950s when attended Wheeler Lane SMB.

I lived right opposite The Valley Pub growing up in the 1970's. 850 Yardley Wood Rd. This was my dad and mom's local pub. They played dominos for the team there also I remember my mom playing darts for 24 hours for charity. I would wait outside in my dad's car playing in the car park and sitting waiting for them to come out when finished. I remember the owner had children Michelle and Terrance. I can remember our coal man called Sid who lived on Chin Brook rd. I can remember the 18 bus terminal and the prefab type houses that was on the side going up Yardley Wood rd, I had a friend who lived in one there and we would go into her shed to play. I also remember the Poppin shop, we called it the 1p shop, I think there was a green grocer by the Poppin shop as I can recall apples being outside in boxes. I went to Billesley Junior School and I walked there by myself in them years without any hassle and felt safe.
hi im Michelles and terence lil sister Emma

We lived in one of the prefabs, no 845. Then we moved to Haunch Lane in 1960 cos we were tld the prefabs were going to be demolished. They were but not for another 12 years!

Lived in oak croft road in the 50s as a kid used to sit and watch the old mechanical shovel load the Lorries up at the gravel pit which has long gone now, when I was older I worked behind the bar at the valley when Steve was the landlord happy memories there. just across the road was the 18 terminus with the clock and the shelter, I remember the last Bus back was 6 minutes past 11

Back