• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Valley pub, Billesley

Still remember that school dentist , can see that grinning ghoulish lady that held the mask to my face.
Saturday at the Tudor, and ice cream on walk home at the newsagents.
And what a fabulous air show and display at the common , Harriers up and down , Vulcan flying over our house in stirchley also all the display aircraft flew over us on route to the common.
Plenty of static displays on ground , dog handling R A F regiment marching and defence displays
Doubt if the R A F have enough planes now to repeat that show.
Wonderful memories of good Ol Brum not that long ago.

Streamboy, you brought back some good memories for me.....I went to the same air show on Billesley Common with my family and gazed in wonder as the Harrier Jump Jet - went up and down - as you described it and the Vulcan bomber so loud as to nearly deafen everyone. When we arrived home, the Vulcan flew over our house when we hoped that our windows wouldn't crack with the vibration the plane created.

I lived right opposite The Valley Pub growing up in the 1970's. 850 Yardley Wood Rd. This was my dad and mom's local pub. They played dominos for the team there also I remember my mom playing darts for 24 hours for charity. I would wait outside in my dad's car playing in the car park and sitting waiting for them to come out when finished. I remember the owner had children Michelle and Terrance. I can remember our coal man called Sid who lived on Chin Brook rd. I can remember the 18 bus terminal and the prefab type houses that was on the side going up Yardley Wood rd, I had a friend who lived in one there and we would go into her shed to play. I also remember the Poppin shop, we called it the 1p shop, I think there was a green grocer by the Poppin shop as I can recall apples being outside in boxes. I went to Billesley Junior School and I walked there by myself in them years without any hassle and felt safe.

The earliest memories I have as a child is living in the prefabs opposite the Valley pub. I was born in 1946 and assume because of that my parents (dad just out of the navy) managed to get new prefab. Can remember sweet shop opposite, Pop-ins, brook in front, and his terminus. Catching 24 bus to nan's who lived in Main Street, Sparkbrook. I would have been about 3 and my sister 7.

The earliest memories I have as a child is living in the prefabs opposite the Valley pub. I was born in 1946 and assume because of that my parents (dad just out of the navy) managed to get new prefab. Can remember sweet shop opposite, Pop-ins, brook in front, and his terminus. Catching 24 bus to nan's who lived in Main Street, Sparkbrook. I would have been about 3 and my sister 7.
We lived at number 845, 3rd pair down from Haunch Lane, between 1950 and1960. Which one was yours?

We lived at number 845, 3rd pair down from Haunch Lane, between 1950 and1960. Which one was yours?
I really can't remember, don't know when these prefabs were put up but we must have moved in shortly after. My sister who is 4 years older than me can recall living with our grandparents in Highters Road, because of the shortage of space when I came along I can only assume the council allocated a prefab. I can recall my father giving me a lift on the fueltank of his motorbike along the rough piece of road by the brook. We must have been quite posh because dad had a motorbike and sidecar! By the time I went to infant school at Highters Heath we were back in another house in Highters Road. We did move a few times via council house exchanges. I would probably have left the prefab before 1950.

I really can't remember, don't know when these prefabs were put up but we must have moved in shortly after. My sister who is 4 years older than me can recall living with our grandparents in Highters Road, because of the shortage of space when I came along I can only assume the council allocated a prefab. I can recall my father giving me a lift on the fueltank of his motorbike along the rough piece of road by the brook. We must have been quite posh because dad had a motorbike and sidecar! By the time I went to infant school at Highters Heath we were back in another house in Highters Road. We did move a few times via council house exchanges. I would probably have left the prefab before 1950.
I thought I didn't recognise the name. We must have moved in as you were moving out!

Isn't memory a wonderful thing? I am 74 and am drawing on memories from over 70 years ago. Yet I can't remember what I did yesterday. So wonderful to have found this forum.

There was, Mr & Mrs Janes and children, Mrs Price, Alice Gilkes with Mrs Webb, VIolet and Danny Withey, Mr Collins, Mrs Jeffcott, Alan Downes, the Langfords (Brian), John Carter. I'm 76 and can't remember the score in Birmingham City's last game on Saturday!

There was, Mr & Mrs Janes and children, Mrs Price, Alice Gilkes with Mrs Webb, VIolet and Danny Withey, Mr Collins, Mrs Jeffcott, Alan Downes, the Langfords (Brian), John Carter. I'm 76 and can't remember the score in Birmingham City's last game on Saturday!
Amazing Rita - those names will trigger other peoples thoughts.

We were neighbours! I was at 843. I can recall going to a neighbours and having jam on toast, I thought it was lovely, could have been your mom. Best to forget Birmingham City's score!

We were neighbours! I was at 843. I can recall going to a neighbours and having jam on toast, I thought it was lovely, could have been your mom. Best to forget Birmingham City's score!
It will have been my Mom, she was a very kind lady, and I do remember your Mom's name, Stella Boodle! I must have met you very early in our time there. Hello again.

It will have been my Mom, she was a very kind lady, and I do remember your Mom's name, Stella Boodle! I must have met you very early in our time there. Hello again.
When did your family move out Rita? I can recall the couple that moved in after your family had gone. I know the guy worked as a groundsman at King Edwards Camp Hill in Vicarage Road, my old school.

hello Rita! Do you remember my sister at all, Ann Boodle? She would have been 7/8 and I (John) would have been 3/4 in 1950.

Back