• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Valley pub, Billesley

this is other i meant to post
1971 ish outside dads butchers Sarsfields 832 Yardley wood road Mr popin was my godfather

Attachments

• img20180709_20101666 - Copy.jpg
    img20180709_20101666 - Copy.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 25
this is other i meant to post
1971 ish outside dads butchers Sarsfields 832 Yardley wood road Mr popin was my godfather
Was your Dad's name Vic? He used to cross me over YW Rd to get to the prefabs when I came home from Billesley. And was Mrs Popin really called Mrs Shotton? I remember both those shops and the bank (Martins?) and a tobacconist

Was your Dad's name Vic? He used to cross me over YW Rd to get to the prefabs when I came home from Billesley. And was Mrs Popin really called Mrs Shotton? I remember both those shops and the bank (Martins?) and a tobacconist
Dad was Vernon but most called him Reg

Attachments

• IMG00056-20110802-2141.jpg
    IMG00056-20110802-2141.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 31
Wow what a fantastic thread. I was a lad living in Chinnbrook Road sort of between 1962 to 65 or thereabouts. I was 6 or 7 when I used to go into the Outdoor at the Valley with pop bottles and buy Vimto. I remember waiting outside while my grandad was drinking inside and he would bring us a packet of Troach Drops out and some crisps. I remember Poppins shop too and the prefabs near the bus terminus. Oh what grand days!

Wow what a fantastic thread. I was a lad living in Chinnbrook Road sort of between 1962 to 65 or thereabouts. I was 6 or 7 when I used to go into the Outdoor at the Valley with pop bottles and buy Vimto. I remember waiting outside while my grandad was drinking inside and he would bring us a packet of Troach Drops out and some crisps. I remember Poppins shop too and the prefabs near the bus terminus. Oh what grand days!
My Grandad used to use said pub he lived in Pendeen Road, he probally knew your Grandad

My Grandad used to use said pub he lived in Pendeen Road, he probally knew your Grandad
Possibly yes, he spent all his time in there. His name was Bill (William) Davis and lived in Chinbrook Road. Never without his flat cap and old suit. Wonderful!

I remember the one at the extreme left as being the 'Popin' a sweet shop, and round the corner in Brigfield Road two lock up shops, one was Audreys chip shop, the other a general store I think. In my time it wasn't the 13 or 13a that came down to haunch lane, only the 24, and of course the 18 terminus. And yes there were prefabs extending round the corner into Haunch Lane and Yardley Wood Road. All gone now, but you can still tell where some were by the trees etc., that still grow there.

View attachment 90880

Here's a picture taken outside of the "Valley Pub". Haunch Lane / Yardley Wood Road around 1957 showing the 13 / 18A bus terminus (The 13 used this for buses running back to Yardley Wood Garage) The basic 13A went down Trittiford Road)
Yes, that picture brings back memories. I walked down that road for years. My mom worked in a school kitchen and as a young child I was left with a lovely woman in Chinn Brook Road, - Mrs Marsdon, while she worked in the school kitchen. Mrs Marsden used to put thousands of pins together every day. 10 little pins on a big pin, I guess for a factory - Pin Money!!. I used to 'help' her lol. Her children will still be alive, sadly cannot recall their names.

That clinic brings back a lot of bad memories the school dentist operated from there he was a little Scots man and I will never forget his approach to nervous children it went something like if you dont stop crying I will give you something to cry about, how times have changed.
My partner remembers that horrible dentist very well. As a child of about 8/9 very timid and shaking he gave her a filling without injection, muttering to himself the whole time.

Yes, that picture brings back memories. I walked down that road for years. My mom worked in a school kitchen and as a young child I was left with a lovely woman in Chinn Brook Road, - Mrs Marsdon, while she worked in the school kitchen. Mrs Marsden used to put thousands of pins together every day. 10 little pins on a big pin, I guess for a factory - Pin Money!!. I used to 'help' her lol. Her children will still be alive, sadly cannot recall their names.
I used go to school with John Marsden or don who used to live in Chinnbrook it was a corner house can’t remember if it was on the cornerstone the bottom of Hullbrook or Halstead Rd.

My mom and dad met at The Tudor Cinema! My dad was the manager and my mom worked in the box office/usherette. This was in the late 1930's.
Wow, I remember the Tudor Saturday morning matinee with such fabulous joy - every Saturday morning cartoons and films - simple and wonderful concept. On one occasion children who had a birthday could go on the stage and receive something, can't remember what - voucher?. Another time children were asked if they wanted to sing (mime) to a song on stage during a break. My friend Glen Macdowell and I saved and bought the record to be played and for us to mime to (Peter and Gordon 'please lock me away'..made cardboard guitars, lol and practiced the words again and again for our moms. Our day came and we did it nervously but such fun. I can still remember the words to the song, have not thought about it for decades, until this forum on the Tudor stimulated it. I also remember the song...'We all the boys and girls well known as children of the ABC (which we would shout loud) etc. So high at the end of the films we would run out the pictures and over the back to the ground as I recall it the common. This became a battle ground to replay whatever the film was we had just seen. Ha.

Last edited:
I used go to school with John Marsden or don who used to live in Chinnbrook it was a corner house can’t remember if it was on the cornerstone the bottom of Hullbrook or Halstead Rd.
OMG You are right it was probably Marsden. It was a corner house big grass area out front and garage to the right. Halfway down Chinn Brook before the shops. I lived in Eastham Road at that time.

OMG You are right it was probably Marsden. It was a corner house big grass area out front and garage to the right. Halfway down Chinn Brook before the shops. I lived in Eastham Road at that time.
Sounds like the house I remember , I lived Beauchamp Road .

It could well have been as a home worker for this company:

It could well have been as a home worker for this company:
Definitely a home worker.

pins for Laughton's /Elbiefs probably

Back