• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Valley pub, Billesley

Never did go to the Tudor for some reason. It became a Bingo hall for a while. Knocked down now and replaced with retirement homes along with the Dairy, and later still, the British Legion. The clinic in Warstock Lane is, I think, still there, but not sure what it's being used for now. Will check next time I pass by. The Bagnall at the top of Warstock Lane was knocked down and replaced with a McDonalds. The Warstock PH now homes, the Dog and Partridge now a religious groups church, The Haven/Merury now homes, the Maypole now shops and hotel. All gone! Nearest pubs to the Valley now are The Covered Wagon way past Swanshurst Park, The Billesley Hotel, The Horseshoes (pulled pints there for a time), The Knob, and the Sherwood (now renamed something else). Think the Prince of Wales is still going.

Never been in the Tudor cinema but I remember it. What I do remember is drinking in the Warstock, Dog & Partridge, Sherwood, Bagnell Arms (the last pub I remember that had a piano - a plea for a free and easy night failed because no-one could play it), Haven/Mercury/cottage, New Lodge, Prince of Wales, Colebrook, and of course the Valley. All "lovely" pubs in their own way. Perhaps they closed because I went in them !:friendly_wink:. Shame most of them have gone.

Yes, the clinic was there. It still is, but the sign now says The Warstock Centre. Couldn't see in the dark as I passed what it was being used for. The allotments next door have gone, replaced by housing. Looks like sheltered or retirement housing.

That clinic brings back a lot of bad memories the school dentist operated from there he was a little Scots man and I will never forget his approach to nervous children it went something like if you dont stop crying I will give you something to cry about, how times have changed.

My mom and dad met at The Tudor Cinema! My dad was the manager and my mom worked in the box office/usherette. This was in the late 1930's.

Never been in the Tudor cinema but I remember it. What I do remember is drinking in the Warstock, Dog & Partridge, Sherwood, Bagnell Arms (the last pub I remember that had a piano - a plea for a free and easy night failed because no-one could play it), Haven/Mercury/cottage, New Lodge, Prince of Wales, Colebrook, and of course the Valley. All "lovely" pubs in their own way. Perhaps they closed because I went in them !:friendly_wink:. Shame most of them have gone.

Army service/marriage/living in Germany, meant that I never went into as many Brummagem pubs as I would've liked.

When on leave I tended to get in the Maypole, until it became too ropey. I used to walk down to the Colebrook with my Dad, going past "The Prince" which for some reason we never visited.
My mate Graham is still bewailing the disappearance of his beloved Warstock.
In my younger days we would walk to the Maypole cinema or the Tudor but if we were feeling posh we'd catch the bus to the Kingsway.

That clinic brings back a lot of bad memories the school dentist operated from there he was a little Scots man and I will never forget his approach to nervous children it went something like if you dont stop crying I will give you something to cry about, how times have changed.

I had my first tooth out in the Warstock clinic. I remember having a rubber mask held to my face and starting to struggle, the dentist then held me down with the mask until the gas took effect. I still remember screaming. Sounds like I encountered that little Jock too !
We used to dread the school dental inspections and getting a "D" on the dental slip. Once I was dragged to a place in Gt Charles St where there were many dentist's chairs lined up and the torturers were all dental students.
I had to make repeated visits to the clinic when I picked up the dreaded verrucas too but the most memorable visit was when aged 13, I went for my medical, before I could take on a paper round. I was informed that I was short-sighted and needed glasses - I was horrified !

Thanks for reviving that memory Baz I thought it was long since buried.

I remember the Valley very well, as a youngster our big adventure was to walk in the stream that ran under the pub from behind the 18/18A terminus and to reappear in the allotments on the other side adjacent to the golf course. Every Saturday it was the ABC Minors at the Tudor and afterwards run down the hill to reenact the Cowboy and Indian film on the bit of waste land at the corner of Chinnbrook and Yardley Wood roads. In later years I would more likely to have been seen swaying up Brigfield road to the chippy on my way home from the Valley.

Happy Days

Funny thing about the Legion on Billesley common.
I was part of a recruiting display that was going around the Brum area in the late 60s and one day we set up on the common.
We were refused admission to the Legion club that evening, even though we were in uniform.
Baffled but undeterred, we went to the Valley instead !

Yes they were set back on a raised concrete area
Thanks for the memory jolt ! Yes I remember that buses would wait, for no obvious reason.

Villian64
I seem to remember a group of shops and a bank in that area, weren't they set back and higher than the road ?

I remember the Valley very well, as a youngster our big adventure was to walk in the stream that ran under the pub from behind the 18/18A terminus and to reappear in the allotments on the other side adjacent to the golf course. Every Saturday it was the ABC Minors at the Tudor and afterwards run down the hill to reenact the Cowboy and Indian film on the bit of waste land at the corner of Chinnbrook and Yardley Wood roads. In later years I would more likely to have been seen swaying up Brigfield road to the chippy on my way home from the Valley.

Happy Days
Drank in The Valley for quite a few years in the early 80’s quite a pub to go to if you were a Villa fan, some fabulous nights in there though with some really good friends...

Remember my Grandad Denis Breakwell (18 penden road went to have a look at the old house a couple of years ago from the outside not changed, wonder what the inside is like now) using the Valley, as a old timer was told he was one of the first people to start up the old British Legion, remember going to see my grandparents on a sunday for lunch and my grandad and my dad walking to the legion for a drink then a quick one in the Valley and he always brought my nan a couple of bottles (stuffed in his pocket) of Mackinson

I can remember having a pint outside the Valley and watching a Spitfire, a Lancaster, a Vulcan and the Red Arrows flying over. It was in 1973. What a fantastic couple of down the pub!

That would have been from the air display held at Billesley common Lumpammer. It was over quite a few days.
There was some helicopters and a Harrier jump jet on the ground.

I remember the air show on Billesley common all those years ago.. I found the Harrier Jump Jet interesting and took photos on my small camera. The Vulcan Bomber flew over my house in Cole Valley Road and I remember the plane causing the windows to rattle.
Happy memories.....

It's great hearing all these memories. I lived in one of the prefabs on the common until 1961 then moved round the corner (as we used to call it) into Haunch Lane.

I didn't like being reminded about the school dentist though; I well remember that rubber face mask!

Hello everyone. I grew up on a road called Chinn Brook, in Billesley. Right next to Chells Grove. My mom & dad moved there from Hollybank road after my grandad passed away and my mom took the house over. I always remember the valley, as a kid my mom/dad went there as did my grandad and a lot of other family too. Sadly, as I grew older it got closed down and vandalized mercilessly. My only memories will be me & my mates playing 'tracking' in there but I did have so many fun days there. I know a lot of people that used to go in there, families, and I'd like a picture of it. So if there's a kind soul out there with one, please would you mind sharing it? I've searched google, there was a thread on here called 'old billesley' but the picture isn't there.

One funny story of me at the valley as a kid was I climbed over the rail, walls/rail preventing anyone from falling into the nettles and rubbish below. I thought I was clever and let go - then fell in the stingers and cut my finger haha. Everyone at the pub had a good laught at me! Those were the days :)

Thanks for any helpful info!
If your grandad was Sid Reynolds i remember him well, sound bloke and not to be messed with, we played in the same domino team at the valley.

1971 ish outside dads butchers Sarsfields 832 Yardley wood road Mr popin was my godfather

Attachments

• Scan2.jpg
    Scan2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 14
Back