• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Universal Woodworking Company

RobertS

master brummie
Can anyone help with more information on the UWC

The Universal Woodworking Company was in George Street, off Edward Road, Balsal Heath. The company produced general goods including turnery, police truncheons, battons, rulers and writing instruments. It was run and probably owned by the 'Woodwards'. A Pop Woodward before the second world war. I had a aunt who worked there after leaving school in the 1930's, and a great uncle prior to that. All I have been able to find is a small brass product label with their trademark and an office address in town.

I know they brought in native woods in by cart and seasoned them on the premises and exotic hardwoods from the railway yards.

Thanks

Hi Robert .welcome to the forum,these entries are taken from Kelly's 1949.I'm sure many of us are familiar with the Helix name

Colin

another address

they had moved to George street in 1938 from 51 Newhall Hill I have traced them back to this address from 1921 to 1937 run out of Kelly's we have gap from 1921 back to 1915 will check earlier ones if you need to find any more

Thanks for the help on UWC.

Thanks for the additional information. The breakthrough was the connection to Helix. I'm now off to search for Helix history book. My understanding is that the George Street factory was there well before the 'office address' move but I should be able to research this further now I have the connection.

My remaining hope is that there might still be someone out there who worked at the Basall Heath factory. Below is a thumbnail sketch of the firm when my aunt started there in 1937 picking and packing orders.

The company employed approximately:
20 Warehouse staff
5 Office staff
24 Turners and finishers
4 French polishers
10 Stampers cutters and finishers (drawing instruments)
1 Canteen
15 Woodmen

Logs arrived in the yard and were cut with large circular saws and stacked in dated order to season. The woodmen processed the green timber and rotated the stacks and supplied sized finished timber to the works. Exotic wood arrived cut, and was stored in the upstairs storeroom.

There was a constant concern over the fire risk.

The company was run by Mr (Pop) Woodward and his son ‘Mr’ Clifford. Pop Woodward was over 80. (Estimated by a school leaver!) Pop Woodward had a winged collar, glasses on the end of his nose, tight trousers, black highly polished shoes a waistcoat and an ever present notepad and pencil. He knew workers by name and talked with them.

Amongst ‘Mr’ Cliffords responsibilities was first aid. A rudimentary medical kit was kept in the Warehouse. The woodmen worked the most dangerous machinery and could loose fingers and hands. This was the one part of the factory that my aunt was not allowed into, although she was shown around the machinery and the ‘big saw’ could be heard in action.

There were two other partners, a father and son. The son was remembered as a big man.

The factory was labelled ‘Joinery Works’ on the map, but produced handles, police truncheons and drawing and writing instruments including compass’, rulers and squares.

My aunt remembers entering the works from George Street down the main entrance for the carts and lorries that delivered the logs and the vans that took away the goods. On the left was the yard with the timber stacks whilst the large machine shop was on the right. The Warehouse and the other shops were on the first floor above and behind the machine shop.

Once again many thanks

the universal woodworking

thank you for your information and a bit of history if you find out any please post it as its more history for the site.
More info for you the Newhall Hill site was there in 1895 but just wood turners

Thanks for the additional info.

Thanks for the additional information. It could be valuable. My grandmother got my aunt the job at the UWC. Living with them in Clifton Road was Henry Woodlands Ravenhill, (Gt Uncle Harry), a woodturner and rule maker. My G Grandfather was Philemon Ravenhill was a Woodturner and Timber Merchant who brought the family from Gloucestershire to arrive in Cox Street West in the mid 1870's.Thanks again

UWW Brass and airweight scales

Thanks for the references and the photo's.

I had tracked down the brass plate but not the scales. How interesting that the company was still using the Universal Woodworking Company name so late. Thanks again.

(I couldnt date the brass plate)

Back