• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Union Club Colmore Row

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
EDit. The information in the following three posts was added for reference to a later enquiry in post #4.

New building for Union club. this building still seems to be standing, though now it is now occupied, amongst others, by Reuben Colley Fine Art & Fleetmilne Property (according to streetview).
of bo new building for union club.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike - How nice to see the description of the inside of a building. Usually these places just get a quick mention but I shall print this and read at leisure. I see that Yeoville Thomason has his finger in yet another pie!

Edit. Posts were brought together with earlier information provided in another thread for ease of reference.

Does anyone have any information relating to or about the Union Club in Birmingham?

It was in existence in 1870 and one of the members was the civil engineer and MP John Robinson McClean.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry mort the unity club yes but not the union club there was a union pub in gerrard st but apart from that i cant help much

lyn

Last edited:
According to 1868 Kelly's the Union Club was in Colmore Row and the secretary was Charles Richards.
In the 1883 directory it is listed as shown on the attachment.
1542987230723.png

My word, thank you all. That’s is a big step forward with some research work we are doing.

Thanks again.

PS I do remember the unity club too Lyn x

Union Club - 1869 - BL_0001578_18690612_076_0021.jpg

My understanding is that T.H. Gem, known universally as Harry, the lawn tennis pioneer, was one of the main drivers behind the project to launch the Union Club and build dedicated premises. Harry was, for a few years, a member of the Edgbaston Archery Society and we have a contemporaneous entry on our membership list for a Charles Richards. Furthermore there is a Charles Richards listed as a Captain of the Birmingham Rifle Volunteers where Harry Gem was also an officer.

This is the Obituary in the Birmingham Daily Mail. The Edgbastonian is an interesting publication, maybe written by Edgbastonians for Edgbastonians ?

'F2E2E94E-6A12-49AE-AB84-C08DAD2B17C0.jpegE9AFD330-2593-43D7-8A84-B22248CDA274.jpeg

I have started a new thread for the Edgbastonian...

It could well be that Mr Gem was a driving force in pushing the idea of new premises for the Union Club.

I looks like Mr Gem obtained the ranks of Captain and Major from his role in the Volunteers. The use of titles gained in The Volunteers was frowned upon by the regular army and only considered appropriate when in uniform.

In July 1879, Mr Gem speaks at the Yardley and Solihull Licensed Victuallers annual dinner...

2AA5EBA5-3E41-41B7-AD57-334BEDB858AD.jpeg

Great Info, as per folks, but may I be a bit inquisitive here, and maybe a bit thick, as I was looking at an old post of the Conservative Club, in those magnificent old buildings in Temple Row, and I then had some old notes about the BEAN CLUB, another staunchly conservative bunch, and I wondered if the Union, Conservative and Bean Clubs were ever related in some way? These are my notes on the Bean Club....fire away of I am way off any link.....!

Birmingham Bean Club

The Birmingham Bean Club was a loyalist dining club founded in Birmingham, Englandshortly after the Restoration of the Monarchy in 1660, serving as a forum for confidential discussion between the leading Tory citizens of the growing industrial town and the gentlemen of the surrounding counties. It both reflected and encouraged the 18th century establishment of Birmingham as the political hub of the surrounding region,[ seeking to accommodate the political implications of the development of Birmingham within the framework of the 18th century constitution. By the end of the century the club was described as including "representatives of the Magnates of the County, the Gentlemen and Tradespeople of the town, the Clergy and the officers from the Barracks, and the principal representative actors from the local theatre".

In a town with a tradition of Radicalism and an influential Nonconformist minority, the Bean Club was strongly Tory and exclusively Anglican. No Dissenter was ever admitted, and its membership excluded not just influential local Whig aristocrats such as the Earl of Warwick, the Earl of Conway and Lord Archer, but also more moderate Tories such as the Earl of Aylesford, and influential conservative Birmingham Anglicans who were closely associated with Dissenters, such as Matthew Boulton and Samuel Garbett.

The club was re-established in May 1749 and quickly built up a national importance. Its leading figures – Lord Craven, Lord Leigh and, from the mid-1750s, the Earl of Denbigh – effectively controlled the selection of Members of Parliament for Warwickshire during the early and mid 18th century. The 1750s and 1760s were difficult times for Toryism nationwide, however, and the club's fortunes reflected this. Meetings were cut back from weekly to monthly in 1753, and in 1759 they were further reduced to annual occasions. This era also saw strained relations between the Birmingham and country members: only 42 of the 387 members in 1755 were from Birmingham and there is evidence of tension between the groups. Most notably, no attempt was made to elect Samuel Aris when he succeeded his father Thomas Aris as editor of the conservative Birmingham Gazette in 1761.

The Bean Club was reinvigorated after the dramatic election of Thomas Skipwith – a disaffected Bean Club member – to one of the Warwickshire county seats with the votes of the Birmingham freeholders in 1769, as Birmingham's electoral influence was made clear and the leading county Tories made renewed efforts to reach an accommodation with the town. 56 new members were elected to the club between 1770 and 1773 - more than during the entire previous decade - and 36 of these came from Birmingham, including Samuel Aris in 1770. The frequency of meetings was increased to quarterly in 1771. The club's members became increasingly influential in the government of the town over the following decades - 8 members of the Street Commissioners elected in 1769 were Bean Club members, as were 7 of the committee of the Birmingham General Hospital in 1765, and members were prominent among the subscribers to Birmingham's Anglican Sunday Schools.

The club also took a leading role in the establishment of the "Birmingham interest" as a force in regional politics after 1774. All of the Members of Parliament for Warwickshire elected between 1769 and 1782 on the back of the strength of the Birmingham freeholders' vote were County Stewards of the Bean Club - Skipwith, Sir Charles Holte, Sir George Shuckburgh and Robert Lawley. Neither were the Bean Club's interests were not confined to Warwickshire. Edward Foley and William Lygon, both Members of Parliament for Worcestershire, served as county stewards in 1784, by which time members lived as far away as Bridgnorth in Shropshire, Stone and Burton on Trent in Staffordshire, Stoke in Herefordshire, Malvern in Worcestershire, Appleby in Leicestershire and Daventry in Northamptonshire.

Although the society claimed in 1769 to be "ever devoted to the support of Liberty and Independence", the opinions of members were split over the American War of Independence, and adopted an increasingly conservative outlook over the course of the 1770s. By the 1790s Bean Club members were closely involved in the formation of loyalist associations in the wake of the Priestley riots, such as the Birmingham Church and King Club founded in 1792. I think they met at Cromwell Hall in Winson Green at one time....?

https://sites.google.com/site/lol242birmingham/history/birmingham-s-orange-history

Bean Club 1.jpegBean Club and ASociety clipping.jpgCromwell hall 1900 or 1901. Heath Green Rd Winson gnjpg.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-15 at 11.31.19 copy.jpg

Back