• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Union Club Colmore Row

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
EDit. The information in the following three posts was added for reference to a later enquiry in post #4.

New building for Union club. this building still seems to be standing, though now it is now occupied, amongst others, by Reuben Colley Fine Art & Fleetmilne Property (according to streetview).
of bo new building for union club.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike - How nice to see the description of the inside of a building. Usually these places just get a quick mention but I shall print this and read at leisure. I see that Yeoville Thomason has his finger in yet another pie!

Edit. Posts were brought together with earlier information provided in another thread for ease of reference.

Does anyone have any information relating to or about the Union Club in Birmingham?

It was in existence in 1870 and one of the members was the civil engineer and MP John Robinson McClean.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry mort the unity club yes but not the union club there was a union pub in gerrard st but apart from that i cant help much

lyn

Last edited:
According to 1868 Kelly's the Union Club was in Colmore Row and the secretary was Charles Richards.
In the 1883 directory it is listed as shown on the attachment.
1542987230723.png

My word, thank you all. That’s is a big step forward with some research work we are doing.

Thanks again.

PS I do remember the unity club too Lyn x

Union Club - 1869 - BL_0001578_18690612_076_0021.jpg

My understanding is that T.H. Gem, known universally as Harry, the lawn tennis pioneer, was one of the main drivers behind the project to launch the Union Club and build dedicated premises. Harry was, for a few years, a member of the Edgbaston Archery Society and we have a contemporaneous entry on our membership list for a Charles Richards. Furthermore there is a Charles Richards listed as a Captain of the Birmingham Rifle Volunteers where Harry Gem was also an officer.

This is the Obituary in the Birmingham Daily Mail. The Edgbastonian is an interesting publication, maybe written by Edgbastonians for Edgbastonians ?

'F2E2E94E-6A12-49AE-AB84-C08DAD2B17C0.jpegE9AFD330-2593-43D7-8A84-B22248CDA274.jpeg

I have started a new thread for the Edgbastonian...

It could well be that Mr Gem was a driving force in pushing the idea of new premises for the Union Club.

I looks like Mr Gem obtained the ranks of Captain and Major from his role in the Volunteers. The use of titles gained in The Volunteers was frowned upon by the regular army and only considered appropriate when in uniform.

In July 1879, Mr Gem speaks at the Yardley and Solihull Licensed Victuallers annual dinner...

2AA5EBA5-3E41-41B7-AD57-334BEDB858AD.jpeg

Back