• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The UK's involvement in The Vietnam Conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Powell

master brummie
I have been wondering about any Brummies who were involved in Vietnam. I know we averaged between 1000 and 1300 personnel in Vietnam everyday up until 1972, when the Aussies withdrew. Our forces were seconded to The Australian Army as 'advisors'.
I don't think any of our personnel were rewarded or recognised for their service. I wonder what lies were told to family members when any of our personnel were killed, or went missing in action. The conflict stopped in 1975, some 35 years ago and there are lists of thousands of armed forces personnel still unaccounted for, mostly Americans but there must be some Brits among them. The Viets refused to give over prisoners of war because the USA government reneged on its promise to pay reparations.

Vietnam was indeed, like any war tragic but I feel you are making a number of assumptions where substantive evidence regarding numbers of Birmingham personnel, recognition of service and the allegation of lies to those that were killed is required.

John as I said at the outset, 'I wonder about any Brummies that were involved'. Of course we may never know because of the National Security aspects.

I know of no British military personnel who served in Vietnam, I do believe that 1or2 SAS "advisors" worked with ANZA forces in the Dong Highlands basing there experience from the Malay Emergencys of the 50/60's, certainly there was no Regimental or RAF involvment or Naval come to that, although I beleive that some R&R was allowed in Singapore for some of the Commenwealth Troops.

Hi Paul, sorry to tell you but the figures I gave in the thread are correct, between 1000 and 1300 everyday were involved as 'advisors'. These came from all three arms of the services and were, as I said, seconded to the Australian Army. I believe there was no New Zealand involvement and therefore no ANZAC companies or regiments. You would be surprised my friend to find out just how many armed conflicts we, the UK, have been surrepticiously involved in since the end of WW11.

You may well be right there Doug, I did say I believed there was no involvement but that was only down to my limited knowledge. I've never met any who served.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back