• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The 'Two Step' Cooksey Road, Small Heath

Dolphie

master brummie
I dont suppose there's the faintest chance out there of anyone remembering this shop on Cooksey Road?? I knew it in the early 60's. It was up 'our end' (eg nearer the Golden Hillock Rd end rather than miles down the other end...if that makes any sense at all:D). If you walked down Cooksey Road from Golden Hillock way, the shop was on your right hand side of the street. A little lady used to run it, was her name Clara.......something like that. She seemed to sell a bit of everything (it wasn't on a corner, that I do remember) & had penny trays of sweets etc for us kids. My Uncle used to send me & my cousin Sue in for some sweets & if I was staying at their house for a while I'd spend my money on bubble gum as I wasn't allowed it at home!

On the very slim chance of anyone remembering this shop, I dont suppose anyone has a picture of that area of Cooksey Road??? Or am I being greedy hoping to see a picture of this old street.

Sorry Dolphie, I can't remember the shop although, I possibly used it. I lived in Cooksey Rd for about three years in the 60s and my niece lived there after me for a couple of years.
Our house was on the right coming from the park just past a cafe. What I do remember is that the lofts had no divisions between houses. When you went up there you could see all down the street into the darkness, Very Scary!!

Oooh yes, I remember that Michael, there were several incidents over the years where houses were robbed because someone would get into the lofts & get down into the houses one at a time!! I cant remember the number of my cousin's house but they were the Bennetts. Its funny how altho you clearly remember somethings, other bits are now very vague......getting older I suppose!!!:D

do you recall Curley's Stores 383 Cooksey Road?

Attachments

• IMG00367-20120613-1256.jpg
    IMG00367-20120613-1256.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 34
Back