• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Two Hands, The Packhorse, The Cheshire Cat and The Harlequin - Shard End!

I drove through Shard End yesterday, first time I been round there in years. Couldnt believe that all those pubs are gone.

What do people around there do for a drink without getting the car out ?
there is other beverages besides booze . We lived in shard end 50 years. and saw all the pubs go downhill.
it was not the owners fault.it was the folks that used them. shard end doctors surgery moved from the crescent to occupy the old harlequin site.

Last edited:
Cannot think of another beverage, however the national institution that is the British Pub is a dying one. People, cost, trend, mini series, lack of social interaction all in all.
Schade

I have a vague recollection of drinking in the Cheshire Cat with a girl from Shard End. We met in a club that was opposite the Timberley P.H. on the Chester Rd. but I can't remember the name of the club. I used to frequent the Hunters Moon especially Sunday lunchtimes but after I was married it was the cabaret nights only!
Was the club the chesterfield?

chesterfield/rob roy club

Back