• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Tripe House, Digbeth

Thanks Lyn. So the Tripe House could never have been on Well Street as it looks too far down the road to me. The caption on this image from the Artists who painted Birmingham thread must be incorrect.

(As an aside, the building next door #25, seems to be some sort of ‘repository’ by the name of ‘...r. & Gilder’. There seems to be paintings in the window). Viv.

Attachments

• 5FE86247-DB04-4B91-8DAC-946C952A1125.jpeg
    5FE86247-DB04-4B91-8DAC-946C952A1125.jpeg
    643 KB · Views: 20
Oh I see. So if I’m understanding this correctly, the Tripe Shop could never have been on Well(s) Street because there wasn’t a tripe shop there at the time the street had that name.

But the site of the tripe shop was once on Well(s) Street. Someone please tell me if I’ve got this wrong. Thanks.

And so the building itself would have been on Well(s) because of it’s age, whether that was a dwelling, shop or whatever. Viv.

As I have pointed out in another thread, Digbeth, Deritend and Bordesley high St are often mixed up, due to the fact that there is one numberin g system for the three of them, going up one side tio the end and then coming back the other

A rear view of the Tripe House in the process of demolition. The drawing is probably by Paul Braddon. Viv.

87BC7C1B-21DD-49ED-B934-291D0300C90E.jpeg

Thanks Pete. Looks like it would have fallen down if it hadn’t been demolished. Seems to be shored up on the one side. Viv.

Back