• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Treacle Stick by Helen Butcher.

W

Wendy

Whilst chatting to a lady the other day who grew up in Birmingham she made a comment of how difficult life could be when living on the treacle stick.
This reminded me of a book I read some years ago. The book is about the life of the author Helen Butcher who was born Nellie Smith in Ladywood in 1917. First published in 1999.

In the 70s, I volunteered (was never in the army, obviously) to do all the typing - on the old stencil stuff, remember? - for a Social Services magazine called The Treacle Stick.
I didn't mind, coz I got to read it and it was really interesting!

Hi All.

I have lived in and around Birmingham for nigh on 85 years but cannot remember the phrase 'Treacle Stick' Using rhyming cockney slang I suppose it could mean tick i.e the never never but can someone enlighten me please.

Old Boy

My first job when I left school was with the Ministry of Labour in Washwood Heath. The Treacle Stick office (National Assistance Board) was across the road in St Marks´church rooms.
That´s going back a bit. Claimants had to sign twice a week & benefits were paid in cash. Every penny had to be counted in & balanced at the end of the payment session.

Back