• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Towers Childrens Home, Handsworth

Misty0n

Brummie babby
Hi..I am desperately seeking information about The Towers Home at 3 Sandwell Road Handsworth.
It was I believe, a Home that took young children on a pilot project in the late 1950`s.
I was placed there as a child and later transfered to The Hollies in Coopers Lane, Smethwick.
Anyone who has information about this Home, Please, Please contact me.

hi i spent 6 months at the towers in handsworth around the mid 60's i cant remember the man in charge exept that he use to frighten me because he had tin legs i went on holiday in a caravan in south wales there use to be a disused cinima on the corner of holyhead road and sandwell road that we use to play in my memory of the place is very skechy we had to call the staff mom and dad aunty and so on robert

Hi,i would be interested in any memories you have of the Hollies.as i was there as a child.I dont know much about the Towers ,other than visited my brothers there in the late 60,s.

Hi...thanks for your mail...I spent 2 years at the Hollies in Coopers Lane, Smethwick with my brother...it was an awful place, I do remember that,
I have some photo`s which were takin in the 1950`s ..I dont know if you would be interested in them?
I have a particular picture that shows me & my brother with other children taken in 1953....Do you have anything from the Hollies or The Towers, any info pics etc.
I have been trying to get some info on the Towers for years....all i am being told is that the records have been destroyed???

Hi...please can you get in touch...My e mail address is ...thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Iis Joe here I was at the Holliess when I was 4ish (1951), moved to the Towers, 3 Sandwell Rd Handsworth, when it opened cos I remember my 1st day at School Wattville Rd...and then moved back to the Hollies at 7 till 8 ish was in the clubs then,,, The Sister was a sad as I already spoke to MistyOn ref those days. Remember the nurses and the 'nit days' when we used to hide all over the place and the woods by the Fences....I remember the Following names :
Kate (Peter's) Sister and a lad called James we all moved back to the The Towers again when I was around 8 and stayed there till I was fostered at 14 .
The Woman in Chage was Mrs Morton, her Son Alan was in the Worcestershire Cricket team I have sent a personnel message to Misty0n... thanks for the messages and the copies of the photos Misty0n ...

From Joe I left the Towers 1961 in May/jue ish , must have just missed you What was your brothers name if you dont mind me asking

Hi Joe...thanks for your mail.
My brothers name was John. he was 18 months older than me..We left The Towers when we were 3 an 4 and went to The Hollies where we stayed untill 1953.
I have no memories of the Towers other than I know we were both there..I have the evidence from Sandwell Borough Council.
My research will go on as I am determined to find out what happened to the first 3 years of my life....as I have no idea.

Thanks Again

David Jessop

hi i spent 6 months at the towers in handsworth around the mid 60's i cant remember the man in charge exept that he use to frighten me because he had tin legs i went on holiday in a caravan in south wales there use to be a disused cinima on the corner of holyhead road and sandwell road that we use to play in my memory of the place is very skechy we had to call the staff mom and dad aunty and so on robert

Hi Robert...please can you get in touch with me...I would just like to talk to you about any memories you may have about the Towers.
Thank you

David

Last edited by a moderator:
hi david it maybe a good idea to remove your email address from open forum as it could compromise your security..you could always send a private message to robert giving him your email address and that way nobody else will know it..

regards

lyn

hi misty0n maybe you could also get in touch with robert via the private message system we have and delete your email address from the main forum...its a lot safer that way

lyn

Last edited:
Hi,i was at the Hollies in the early 60,s.As was my sister.Three of my brothers were at the Towers about the same time.Would like to hear from anyone that stayed at either,cheers,Mick.

Hi,i would be interested in any memories you have of the Hollies.as i was there as a child.I dont know much about the Towers ,other than visited my brothers there in the late 60,s.
My name is Louise and I was at the hollies from 1960. I was a baby but spent quite a few years there then I went to Lee House. Never was adopted. I remember always being unhappy. The metal cot and beds with long halls. I sometimes think it was an hospital before a children's home. I was called Lucy then.

Hi...thanks for your mail...I spent 2 years at the Hollies in Coopers Lane, Smethwick with my brother...it was an awful place, I do remember that,
I have some photo`s which were takin in the 1950`s ..I dont know if you would be interested in them?
I have a particular picture that shows me & my brother with other children taken in 1953....Do you have anything from the Hollies or The Towers, any info pics etc.
I have been trying to get some info on the Towers for years....all i am being told is that the records have been destroyed???

I spent six years at the hollies from beginning of 60s, occasionally staying at Lee House which was a little distance away. I have no photos but if you could put pictures on site,that would be great.
I was very unhappy there. After I was sent to shenstone lodge and at the age of 12 I was sent to 34 Pedmore walk. I would love to hear from anyone who lived in any of these home's. I am now called Louise but always called Lucy by staff. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi,i was at the Hollies in the early 60,s.As was my sister.Three of my brothers were at the Towers about the same time.Would like to hear from anyone that stayed at either,cheers,Mick.
Hi I was at hollies from 60s for six years. I was a baby called Lucy but I use the name Louise now.
I do hope to hear from you.

Back