• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Third Man; life at the Heart of New Labour Peter Mandelson Harper Press £25

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
Having just read a review of this book I dont think I will be spending my hard earned cash on a copy, I know that we must not get into politics but if I can quote a little from the review,"For most of the
557 pages The Third Man conforms to the prototype of every political memoir"Dont blame me is the watchword. Mandelson led disasters such as the Millennium Dome are either blamed on others or
miraculously transformed into triumphs.
In the very last paragraph he remarks of himself,Tony and Gordon that;"All three of us at our strongest
retained an ability to bring out the best in one another.No one else could possibly come to this conclusion.Its an odd question to ask,but has he not read his own book? Bernard

Re: The Third Man; life at the Heart of New Labour Peter Mandelson Harper Press £

That is now at the top of my do not buy book Bernard. Jean.

Re: The Third Man; life at the Heart of New Labour Peter Mandelson Harper Press £

The Millennium Dome project I believe was inherited from a previous government. It surprised me it was not strangled at birth but I suppose the thought of cleaning up The Dock Lands was appealing. It was that bad they were making war films there. Best left to private enterprise that sort of thing.
I bet a certain person is rewriting those same events to appear teflon clean when his upstaged book comes out. Like children , if they dont make you laugh then they make you cry.

Back