• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Taplin surname name

Trevor Taplin

Brummie babby
Does anyone know how I can get the history/origin of the Taplin surname? I have traced my dad's family (Taplin) back to the late 1700's so far but I am wondering where the surname comes from.
On my mum's side the Chidwick name goes back to the vikings in Normandy and the Battle of Hasting 1066 and the Royal Stewart clan . I am hoping the Taplin name has a similar history.

Trevor i do so hope someone can help. I must start on the Lyndon side i realy am determined. Bye. All the best. Jean.

from Namelab

Taplin
Last name origin & meaning:
English: from a pet form of the personal name Tæppa (see Tapp).

Tapp
Last name origins & meanings:

1. English: from an Old English personal name Tæppa, of uncertain origin and meaning.
  2. German: from a short form of the Germanic name Theudobrand, composed of the elements theodo- ‘people’ + brand ‘sword’.
  3. North German: nickname for a clumsy person or a simpleton, from Middle Low German tappe ‘oaf’.

Trevor,
Do a google search, just type in, taplin-surname history
There's loads of info, even a coat of arms, but these are not always accurate.

Thanks Trev and have you managed to find anymore out about the Taplin family. Someone did mention a George Taplin former headmaster but I don't remember you mentioning anyone of that name. Try Bren if you require anymore help but there is always someone with answers and more than willing. Bye. Jean. xxx.

Back