• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The T Clarke Cup???

lilybaba

Brummie babby
Hello to you all,my names Diane and I am looking for any information about a football medal of my fathers which I found amongst his things after he passed away in March of this year.He did not have many keepsakes having already given me,'the family historian,anything he thought of as important but now I have found this medal.It is about as big as a 10p coin,solid silver,hallmarked and on the back is engraved,The T Clarke Cup,1947/8,Winners,D Homans(thats my Dad).I know he played football he would have been14/15yrs old,he lived in Maypole Lane opposite Daisy Farm Park so wether the match was played there I don't know.He was an invalid at the end but his mind was firing on all cylinders,if he was here he could tell me all I want to know but he's not so any info is appreciated..Thankyou.

Attachments

• DSC04068.JPG
    DSC04068.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC04067.JPG
    DSC04067.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Hi Diane, welcome to the forum. I am thinking that this maybe a school football team medal. Various people did spencer school football teams and cups. In the mid 60’s in Birmingham there was the Plasa (Plaza) cup that’s junior school teams played for.

hello diane and welcome...do you know which school your dad attended ?

lyn

Hi Diane, welcome to the forum. I am thinking that this maybe a school football team medal. Various people did spencer school football teams and cups. In the mid 60’s in Birmingham there was the Plasa (Plaza) cup that’s junior school teams played for.
Thanks for the info but he left school at 14,for an apprenticeship,so I don't think that works and the medal was awarded just after WW2 so the 60's bit doesn't work either.Thanks anyway for your trouble.

hello diane and welcome...do you know which school your dad attended ?

lyn
Yes I do,Silver Street School,Drakes Cross,Wythall,till he was 14 then he left to take up an apprenticeship,carpentry.He lived all his life (except for the last few years)in Maypole Lane,Kingsheath/Yardleywood/Solihull boundary which was classed as Worcestershire,then Warwickshire.He did mention that when he was a lad most of Yardley wood was fields,farms and playing fields.I want to say it was probably just a group of amateur teams having a kick about but the medal is quite impressive for a time when,just after the War austerity was the byword.Any info is gratefully received....

Can't help with the football aspect but the Birmingham silversmiths hallmark is for Deykin & Son.
Not sure about Deykin ansd Son I've found that they became Deykin and Harrison in 1895 and went out of business in 1930's but I have found Duncan and Scobie also Birmingham silversmiths so could be them..Thankyou for the info.

Back