• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The sycamore

J

Jerry

Does anyone remember the Sycamore on the corner of Sycamore Road and Park street

It was our local and we used to play darts in there. The problem was that the floor in the bar sloped - and not just in one direction. half of it sloped in one direction and half in another and when you played darts you had to throw uphill!

I remember the Sycamore pub, I used to live in Frederick Road just opposite the pub,we used to make a few bob around bonfire night outside the pub with a guy fawkes. Does anyone remember the chemist shop on the other corner, it used to have those large glass vessels full of coloured liquids.

Hi my great grandfather known as Edward David or Edwin David Price married to Clara Price, he was born 1872 was a cabinet maker and married Clara in 1892. They travelled from the Midlands to Sunderland and then to Glasgow but after 1909 up until 1920 I've lost trace of them. SOmeone kindly let me know he was in the pub trade in the 1920s which fits with what we were told but does anyone have any other information before then? He ran a pub called the Sycamore Tavern at 175 park road (dont know which are of Brum this is in 1921? And if anyone knows of a photo of the pub this would be great. Thanks v much

In the 1917 Directory there is a

Price Edwin David Rose and Crown, P H 154 Brearley Rd

In the 1921----1925 Directory's there is a

Sycamore Tavern Edwin Davis Price 175 Park Rd Aston

hi natty here is another of the sycamore...i take it you have seen the pics i posted of the rose and crown. corner of brearley st and hospital st...???.there is one after bomb damage and another one after repairs..

PARK_ROAD_THE_SYCAMORE_PUBjh.jpg

that pic in post 10 is completely distorted by the large telephoto lens the photographer must have s used, it makes the church look much nearer than it is and the hill very short, compare it to the more accurate version in post 2. Please dont think I'm critisising but I lived in that area and I know what a long steep climb it was from the church (I was in the choir) to the Sycamore pub. Eric

hi eric...as you know i dont know that part very well and know even less about photography lol..all i know about this perticular photo is that it had to be transfered from a glass plate so not sure if that has anything to do with the quality..

see you soon eric..

lyn

Hi my great grandfather known as Edward David or Edwin David Price married to Clara Price, he was born 1872 was a cabinet maker and married Clara in 1892. They travelled from the Midlands to Sunderland and then to Glasgow but after 1909 up until 1920 I've lost trace of them. SOmeone kindly let me know he was in the pub trade in the 1920s which fits with what we were told but does anyone have any other information before then? He ran a pub called the Sycamore Tavern at 175 park road (dont know which are of Brum this is in 1921? And if anyone knows of a photo of the pub this would be great. Thanks v much
Hi Natty
Are you still researching Edwin David Price?
He was my wife's great grandfather; his daughter Phyllis married Harry Collins in 1934 and were the parents of my wife's late father. I have found Edwin's marriage in 1892 and the family in 1901 Census. However, I cannot find them anywhere in 1911. Did you find anything? The probate calendar shows Edwin died 13 Jan 1935 and Clara 14 Jan 1936.
Any info would be of use.
cheers

just a slight correction to post 2..the rose and crown pub was at the corner of hospital st and brearley st not road...i do have a photo of this pub which suffered bomb damage during the war..repaired and opened up again..demolished in the late 60s

lyn

Hi Lyn - no I didn't see that can you direct me to it or post it again here for me please. Thanks v much I'm very grateful. Natalie
My father was born at the Rose and Crown in 1914. His parents Edwin David Price and Clara Price were the landlords and were landlords at the Kings Arms in High Bullen Wednesbury in1928.

My farther Albert Ernest Henry Price was born at the Rose and Crown in 1914 so Edwin David Price was the Landlord then. I have further poof that they had moved to the Kings Arms at high Bullen Wednesbury by 1928. EDWIN David Price died in 1935 at 36 High Bullen Wednesbury.

Back