• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Swan

cookie273uk

master brummie
normal_The_Swan_001.JPG
My latest pub painting, The Swan, Fittleworth Sussex Eric

Last edited:
yet another masterpiece eric...:) there is is not a day goes by without me looking at the painting you did for me of the vine inn:)

lyn

Baron, I have an Album on my profile titled Erics Water Colours with 53 paintings including 7 Pub paintings (one interier), Eric

Last edited:
If I had thought about it Eric, you could have included Frothy and myself at the front door. :)
The second picture is the Camra plaque on the wall, commemorating the
Froth Blowers involment with the pub.

Thanks for pointing me to your pic on your profile, I just love to see others work, do youever work in oils?

Baron, I started in Oils over 30 years ago, but realised it was not the medium for me, I loved the immdiacy and transparancy of water colour, I was influenced a lot by the work of Jack Merrick, sadly no longer with us. have attached a copy I painted of one of his paintings entitled Country Lane, so (seemingly) simple but every brush stroke plays a part . Eric

Last edited:
I am always up to date with your paintings Eric.Clicking onto community and then albums,keeps me in touch,and a delight they are too.:)
Am now waiting for more updates on your other projects.:)

Great new painting Eric.Nearly as good as the painting of The Vine in Summer Lane that you kindly gave me last year.
Moss.

I have had a go at both mediums but I find wet on wet oils a bit more forgiving when one makes a boo boo LOL.I LIKE THAT ONE ,LOVE LAND SCAPES .
IF YOU LOOK AT "ASTONS pictures" YOU WILL SEE SOME OF MINE.
Keep posting any that you do, as your work may give inspiration to others to have a go.

Baron, its the long drying time that puts me off oils although now we have the quicker drying Alkyds, also you can achieve oil painting effects with the quick drying acrylics applied thick like oils, I have also tried pastels with little success, although I sometimes apply pastels for highlights on my watercolours with quite good effect, also occassionally apply a little pen work to sharpen up a watercolour, with me the means justifies the end - I'm no purist. Eric

Last edited:
Its the end product Eric. If you are happy with it that all its about!
I also had ago with water colour pencils and found them just great but as I have said my love is the fredom oils give me.

Baron, another medium is Chroma colour widely used in the American cartoon/animation film industry, beautiful pure transparent colours, like watercolour BUT waterproof, so no "lifting off" of colour, a technique I use in my paintings, but I still use them occassionally. Also use charcoal to get quick effects when out sketching which I like to do, particularly abroad on painting holidays. Eric

Last edited:
Back