• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Swan Yardley

Every year Marsh & Baxters held their staff Xmas party at the Swan.We were never invited because we were not classed as staff.But in1957 they wanted someone to blow up the Balloons.I volunteered and got invited.On the night knowing most of the staff (by doing repairs on their cars ) they bought me drinks.I was drinking Rum & Aniseed.At the end of the night got to the top of the stairs missed my footing and you know what happened.Someone who knew were I lived put me in their car and took me home.Was I embarrassed on the Monday when I went into work:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Rum and Aniseed Now that brings back lots of memories was my Fav for a long time!!

a good site about the swan my apology if its been posted before
What fab photos and so many memories of living in that area from 1938 to 1957 "Birds" that I snogged in the back of Tivoli watching Flash Gordon movies and the Movietone news!! Playing at the Swan with my band in the 1950s Thanks so much for posting this.

What fab photos and so many memories of living in that area from 1938 to 1957 "Birds" that I snogged in the back of Tivoli watching Flash Gordon movies and the Movietone news!! Playing at the Swan with my band in the 1950s Thanks so much for posting this.
you are welcome ob.:grinning:

a good site about the swan my apology if its been posted before
Nostalgia overload! Thanks for posting.
Trolley buses to Arden Oak in 1940's with my grand dad to walk up to Elmdon Airport. Tivoli with my mom in 1950's to see Jimmy Stewart, Ian Carmichael, Jean Simmons, et al.
That's the shop I booked tickets for 1968 honeymoon, and that's where I use to buy EP records in 1950's.
My 1930's Wolseley NF couldn't get down the Tivoli multi storey car park without using forward and reverse gears.
We used the library after work when we first married and lived in Stockfield Rd.
And then the Swan, the only pub I have ever used as a local, upstairs room for apprentice dances in 1960's and the "snug" to the left of the main entrance of the "old" Swan for putting the world to rights. Remember the tartan carpet in the back room of the new Swan, had a Scots work colleague who wanted one for his home until he found out the price!

Nostalgia overload! Thanks for posting.
Trolley buses to Arden Oak in 1940's with my grand dad to walk up to Elmdon Airport. Tivoli with my mom in 1950's to see Jimmy Stewart, Ian Carmichael, Jean Simmons, et al.
That's the shop I booked tickets for 1968 honeymoon, and that's where I use to buy EP records in 1950's.
My 1930's Wolseley NF couldn't get down the Tivoli multi storey car park without using forward and reverse gears.
We used the library after work when we first married and lived in Stockfield Rd.
And then the Swan, the only pub I have ever used as a local, upstairs room for apprentice dances in 1960's and the "snug" to the left of the main entrance of the "old" Swan for putting the world to rights. Remember the tartan carpet in the back room of the new Swan, had a Scots work colleague who wanted one for his home until he found out the price!
I found this photo of me and my sister Joan I look about 3-4 years old so it must be prewar I was born in 1933 I think then we lived in Yardley Brum but in the background is a TROLLEY BUS!!

Attachments

• 120508535_2860517364048281_7693947472795951242_n.jpg
    120508535_2860517364048281_7693947472795951242_n.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 16
The Swan Centre in the process of being built in the 1970s. The office block seen here would house the HQ for the Bryant building group. Viv.409AA845-5571-4680-8799-6DFE46A272AF.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

D09930CC-C6C9-C1D2-C5BB865EAE0659C5.jpg

The Swan.1967.
I remember the rebuilt, huge Swan, which was reputed to be at the time (by my mates) the largest pub in Europe! Whatever it was or wasn't, two things about it are worth a mention.
First, the room known to me as the Tartan Room was no doubt actually the Highland Room, and was, as I remember it during the week, for men only (how things change so quickly, and for the better of course).
The second event was a performance advertised for the large upstairs room, which I went to because it was by a band I used to watch at Mothers at Erdington, and had not seen or heard of for a while, Fleetwood Mac (not Peter Greene's). We went thinking it was the same as the 'old' band, to be treated instead to a first-class evening of rock from some I recognized (Christine Perfect - now McVie, Mick on drums and John on bass), with two new faces I later found out were Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. It was unforgettably good.
The large upstairs room was packed that night, anyone else remember it?

I remember the rebuilt, huge Swan, which was reputed to be at the time (by my mates) the largest pub in Europe! Whatever it was or wasn't, two things about it are worth a mention.
First, the room known to me as the Tartan Room was no doubt actually the Highland Room, and was, as I remember it during the week, for men only (how things change so quickly, and for the better of course).
The second event was a performance advertised for the large upstairs room, which I went to because it was by a band I used to watch at Mothers at Erdington, and had not seen or heard of for a while, Fleetwood Mac (not Peter Greene's). We went thinking it was the same as the 'old' band, to be treated instead to a first-class evening of rock from some I recognized (Christine Perfect - now McVie, Mick on drums and John on bass), with two new faces I later found out were Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. It was unforgettably good.
The large upstairs room was packed that night, anyone else remember it?
Yes I remember it well, my friend and I used to treck over there from the Perry Barr area sometimes, they had some really good bands on during that period, as you say, ones we would have seen at Mothers Club too.
I think the Swan's Guinness book of records was for the longest bar areas of any pub :laughing:

View attachment 180813I love this view. A busy scene with plenty of scope for poring over the details. Something for everyone. Strangely the man on the motorbike seems to have dismounted on what was, even then, a busy roundabout ! Viv.
Motor cyclist appears to have a flat hat ie no crash helmet. Did the Swan have traffic lights at some stage? Went past there to school 56-58 then to work until around 1970. The bay window, to the right of the Ford Thames van was the "snug" great room for a quiet drink! Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
I think for lots of families on this side of Birmingham the Swan Hotel will have sad memories of after funeral drinks and food with relatives and friends. It being the closest pub to the cemetery.

Back