• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Summer Lane & Newtown of the years 1918-38 by Mannion

john bev

master brummie
I hope this is the correct place to post this . I have been looking for a book entitled " The Summer Lane and Newtown of the years beteen 1918-1938 "by Pauline and Bernard Mannion written in abt 1985. If anyone could help me It would be most helpfull towards my family research .
Regards John

The Summer Lane and Newtown of the years beteen 1918-1938

Hi all
I hope someone can help.

Does anyone have any information regarding this book. My Mother said that she had a book out of the library and it mentions the surname name 'Westbury' in it, which she did show my Nan when she was alive.
My own Nan lived in Summerhill Street, and my Great Great Grandmother lived in Summer Lane and I was aware that a couple of family members did own shops in that area.
(I have moved to Devon so can't get to Birmingham libraries at the moment)
Fingers crossed...

The Summer Lane and Newtown of the years beteen 1918-1938

Hi all
I hope someone can help.

Does anyone have any information regarding this book. My Mother said that she had a book out of the library and it mentions the surname name 'Westbury' in it, which she did show my Nan when she was alive.
My own Nan lived in Summerhill Street, and my Great Great Grandmother lived in Summer Lane and I was aware that a couple of family members did own shops in that area.
(I have moved to Devon so can't get to Birmingham libraries at the moment)
Fingers crossed...
1930 Kelly's says there was a Frank Westbury at 125 Summer Lane, close to the junction with Brass Street

129 Summer Lanenew.PNG
There is a copy of the book 'Summer Lane & Newtown' on ebay at nearly £100, at least you can see what it looks like. There is also another book by Pauline & Bernard Mannion relating to the pubs in Summer Lane & Newtown.

Thank you Rob T

I shall let my Mother have a look at the cover. Phew £100. They should see if it can be reprinted for us folk to buy at a fraction of the priceha ha

My Mother had said that my Nan loved reading the book and said how all the memories came flooding back.
And yes Frank Westbury was my Nans uncle who owned a sweet shop she said he used to sneak sweets to them.
She spoke so fondly on them days and at the same time said how hard they were.

Shellywoos, they did have a copy at Erdington Library as I borrowed it a long time ago. It might be worth checking with them and on the library website.

hi pen shellywoos lives in devon now so a long trip to birmingham...reading post 5 i do have a signed copy of pub memories of summer lane and newtown between the wars written by pauline and bernard mannion makes for good reading as well

lyn

Last edited:
1930 Kelly's says there was a Frank Westbury at 125 Summer Lane, close to the junction with Brass Street

View attachment 165967
There is a copy of the book 'Summer Lane & Newtown' on ebay at nearly £100, at least you can see what it looks like. There is also another book by Pauline & Bernard Mannion relating to the pubs in Summer Lane & Newtown.
hi rob can you post me a link please to the summer lane and newtown book on ebay...i cant find it

many thanks

lyn

hi rob can you post me a link please to the summer lane and newtown book on ebay...i cant find it

many thanks

lyn
Just search for summer lane newtown
I don't think a link is easy (perhaps it is)

thanks rob i have a copy of it but did not think it was worth nearly £100...if shelly can confirm that this is the book that the westbury family are mentioned i will go through it and have a look

lyn

thanks rob i have a copy of it but did not think it was worth nearly £100...if shelly can confirm that this is the book that the westbury family are mentioned i will go through it and have a look

lyn
Aww that will be fab if ever you are there to have a look.
I think it mentioned Frank Westbury, my Nans Uncle.
Michelle

lyn
Lyn
What people ask is not necesarrily what it would sell for. I have seen people trying to get more than the normal price when it is still for sale in the bookshops

yes my son has just said the same thing mike...be interesting to see if the book does sell..i also have in my possession for safe keeping a folder full of pauline manions original research she made into the making of this book in the 1980s...it contains letters from most breweries...many hand written letters full of memories from people who lived in the area and copies of photos they sent in..maps...also newspaper cuttings one is of the summer lane reunion in the 1980s taken outside the stag pub summer lane...i really must find time to go through the folder and have a proper read..

hi shelly as i said earlier i actually own a copy of the book...bit busy at the min so tonight i will settle down and read through it in search of your nans uncle

lyn

Last edited:
There are three other books which may provide some info & photos on Summer Lane,
one has 308 pages & all are only around £9.00

Last edited:
yes my son has just said the same thing mike...be interesting to see if the book does sell..i also have in my possession for safe keeping a folder full of pauline manions original research she made into the making of this book in the 1980s...it contains letters from most breweries...many hand written letters full of memories from people who lived in the area and copies of photos they sent in..maps...also newspaper cuttings one is of the summer lane reunion in the 1980s taken outside the stag pub summer lane...i really must find time to go through the folder and have a proper read..

hi shelly as i said earlier i actually own a copy of the book...bit busy at the min so tonight i will settle down and read through it in search of your nans uncle

lyn
Hi Lyn
Thank you. ...yes that will be brilliant.
X

hi shelly i have not forgotton you...just going to start reading the book to look for a mention of frank westbury

lyn

Back